Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started when I went to open a program that I've used reliably for years -- it started hanging, became unresponsive, and started sucking up all of my virtual memory.

I uninstalled and reinstalled a clean copy, and the same thing happened when I tried to load it.

I've since completely uninstalled the program, deleted all of its remaining files from my system, removed all of its registry entries, etc.

I now have one folder that I cannot access, for no apparent reason. It's just a folder where I've got quite a bit of video stored (77 clips equalling roughly 13GB). Attempting to open it now results in explorer.exe sucking up all of my system resources until it (explorer.exe) crashes and restarts. (CTRL+ALT+DEL shows Memory Use and VM Size skyrocketing to 700,000+)

I haven't installed anything new, all of my scanners come up clean (Spybot, Ewido, Ad-Aware, Symantec Antivirus), and I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened to either the program or that particular folder.

I'd desperately love to know what the heck is going on and what I can do to fix it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, they're in standard formats and I've kept my media players (WMP and VLC)

I hadn't thought of trying it in safe mode.

Edit: I dove in and changed the folders from Thumbnail to List, then deleted the last few newest additions since it was most likely one of those that was causing the trouble there.

Still doesn't explain what happened with the program I removed, particularly since they're on different physical drives, but maybe a defrag will help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.