Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a non nerd and not very comp illiterate I need help.
Problem Is:
I partitioned my hard drives in the following way:
C: drive has only 8 mg of space avaialbe and contains all the boot data etc. (dumb arent I)
D: drive contains all program files etc and is 78 gig

I cannot delete c or d drives and I need more space on my C drive.
Is there a way to add more memory to my c drive so that I will be able to add more programs to that drive.
Be aware that I am a novice (obviously due to my stuff up of c drive).
Operating system is windows XP professional.
cheers

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ya, safest way for now is to uninstall any programs on the C partition that you don't need, and move any files you have there to the D partition. There are other options for this problem as well. How big is the complete C partition?

Oh, and I KNOW you didn't mean to call us names really, did you...I mean, you ARE coming here for help, right?

Scorp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks scorp. SO it is possible just to copy all the c drive files over to my d drive and then delete my c drive which contained my operating systems? Will this then crash my d drive or will it automatically become the boot drive.
Cheers? Sorry bout the biatch its late and just trying to be funny....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
YourMomma said:
thanks scorp. SO it is possible just to copy all the c drive files over to my d drive and then delete my c drive which contained my operating systems? Will this then crash my d drive or will it automatically become the boot drive.
Cheers? Sorry bout the biatch its late and just trying to be funny....
No, you can't just move all the files. We are just trying to get you some more work space by having you move things like video files, pictures, documents etc...anything not related to the operating system or programs already installed. So, as I stated, just uninstall and programs you don't use (ones that are installed on the C drive that it...lol), and then move files/folders containing picture, videos and any other files you can to the D drive.

Doing that could free up quite a bit of space, depending how big the files are. And as I asked before, how big is the complete C drive?

And the biatches thing...no worries....:)

Scorp.

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Only copy over your files but NOT the system files.........your Operating System will stay on C drive....if you move the System files it will not start-up.

How big is the C drive....to find out go Start then My Computer /right click on the C drive Icon and choose properties.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry not explaining myself clearly here.
My C drive contains all my operating system only. It was partitioned with a maximum total space of only a measly 8 mgs in total by mistake instead of 8 gig.
Thats all there is 8 meg, no more. I wanted find a way to add more meg to it. I also wanted to add other operating system files such as java but it comes up with "need more space" when i attempt this.
My D drive contains all other files and has a total space of 78 gig.
I ddint want to reformatt my drives or delete them if possible.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ok, what operating system? My Xp 'WINDOWS' folder is 2.67Gb in size.......do you mean you only have 8Mb left? I can't see you installing ANY Windows O/S on only 8Mb....

S.

·
Super Moderator
46,561 Posts
Ok you do not have your os on an 8meg partition. The only thing you have is your boot files and or boot loader. The os must be on D unless you are running something like dos 5.0 :)
Since the os is on D, what I would really do would be to backup whatever you want to save and clean install using just one partition. While it is possible to do what you want, the amount of time necessary will be more than just clean installing.

Why do you need more space on C drive? You can just put everything on D. There is no requirement that windows be installed on C.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If all you have is 8meg for drive "C" then you really need to use a third party software (Partition Magic or Acronis True Image) to resize the partition to a sensible amount.
I would suggest about 15G for "C", thats enough for the OS and your applications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just checked again and it says in properties under c drive;
used space 5.62mg
free space 2.16 mg
capicity 7.78 mg
I run windows xp professional p4 2.6 gbg
d drive is as follows:
used space 16.3 gb
free sapce 60.2gb
capacity 76.5 gb
My opertaing system is on my c drive. I'll just have to accept the fact im beat in reagards to this problem. From what I understand I basically cant add any memory to my boot drive ("c" drive") I would only be able to free up any space by moving non operational programs. Problem is... thats all thats on there (just operating systems no ther files) hence the reason Im trying to add more memory to it if I can. Deleting any type of files to gain more memory space on c drive is not an option.
If nothing can be be done Ill call it a night. Thanks again for all your help and your prompt replies.

·
Super Moderator
46,561 Posts
You are not understanding you do not have windows xp on an 8meg partition; it is impossible. You have windows [operating system] on D.

Really your choices are.
1 Live with it
2 Clean install on one partition
3 Buy a third party app and resize C; however this is still going to leave windows on D:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
bigbear said:
Did you not read my post?
RESIZE THE PARTITION
Acronis will let you try before you buy http://www.acronis.com/
Their trial is limited and only allows for the creation of a single 8Mb partition.
This is FYI bigbear as I have tried it to make a partition and this is what acronis told me. I have a couple of suggestions but I don't see the humor in this posters id or posts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.