Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. I have another mystery that we can not solve. In excell out of a room with 25 machines. all done the same time, the same way, same software. Ok here's the problem. If you open excel go to the data menu, click the import external data and then import data. It should open up to a folder called my data sources and 5 files will be listed there. Now this works on 3 machines. The rest all open up to My Documents. If you click on my data files only 2 files are there. However if you go the actual folder under office you can find the data folder and all files are there.

any clues?

· Registered
8,565 Posts
Hi. When you "go the actual folder under office" what are the file types -- are they all the same? When you try to import thru Excel, what is set for "Files of type"?

As for the default folder, it probably remembers the folder that was selected at the previous attempt ; at least that's how it works for File > Open.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trying to figure out attachments...
anyways they are query files. when you click on import data within the my data source you sould see +Connect to New Data Source, +New SQL Server Connection then the 3 quary files of MSN MoneyCentral Investor Currency Rates, MSN Money Central Investor Major Indicies and MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes.

on all but 3 machines they open up to my documents folder if you click on my data sources only the +connect to new data source and +New SQL Server Connection.

Thanks for trying to assist me.

Attachments

· Retired Trusted Advisor
4,057 Posts
This may not be the problem, but just out of curiosity can you check the registry on one of the computers that's opening up to My Documents instead of My Data Sources? Go to Start/Run and type regedit. Then navigate to HKEY_Current_User\ Software\ Microsoft\ Office\ 10.0 (or maybe 11.0 or something else depending on what version you have)\ Common\ DataServices. Is there a key called MyData? If so, is it set to My Data Sources? If you're not familiar with editing the registry, definitely don't change anything. I'm just curious about what it's set to.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WendyM Yes we thought that was the problem also.. but I'm sad to say it's not. the computer that works says (name) MyData (type) REG_SZ (data) My Data Sources The one that doesn't work says the exact same thing.

This is just strange, and has all of us totally confussed. We just rebuilt one of the pc's this excel thing was working for about a week. Did nothing to it. (pc's are pretty well tied down, preventing users from making changes) and nowit's not working...

Thanks for the continued help..

· Retired Trusted Advisor
4,057 Posts
Hmmm. On the ones that don't work, is the folder definitely named My Data Sources (no extra spaces or anything)? And is the My Data Sources folder in the My Documents folder the way it is on the machines that work?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.