Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know a method to solve an otherwise repetative task in Excel for me.

In my Excel spreadsheet, I have many columns relating to customer orders etc. Each customer (finite number (~40)) has its name (customer1, and customer2 etc) input to a cell, I then must fill out the customer account number (ac001, ac002 etc). The customer name and number already exist on another sheet.

How can I automate the process of when I input the customer name, excel then fills in the customer number in the next cell?

Many thanks
Dave

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Depending on how your Customer data is arranged, look at either Dlookup or Vlookup.
But Access is better for Customer databases. ;)

·
Trusted Advisor
6,911 Posts
Hi Dave,
You may have to write some VBA code and have it active under your right mouse button.
Like OBP said DLoopup and VLookup can be used too. I personally prefer VBA code that writes data to a particular cell thus avoiding erasures 'by mistake' by a user.
Hans

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Typically after doing a vlookup or hlookup I will copy and paste special as values afterwards to alleviate the messing up a formula Keebelah. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.