Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Good Peoples,

I and hoping that somebody can help me please. I have conected up two machines are via Ethernet, an HP which is the main machine which connects to the Internet and the second machine which is a Toshiba.

The Toshiba can communicate to the Internet with no problem. I can also copy data from the HP to the Toshiba so I definitely have data flow both ways.

However, on the Toshiba, if I got to "view workgroup computers" and then click on the HP icon, I get the following error message. \\Ric is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

Grrrrr..... I am the bloody administrator! And talking to myself does not help resolve the situation. :rolleyes:

I have tried turning the firewalls off on both machines and this makes no difference.

On the HP, the (c) drive "network sharing and security" settings show a kick in the box that says "share this folder on the network", it has a share name of C and the box saying "allow network users to change my files" is also ticked.

In essence, I cannot copy files from the Toshiba to the HP. Can anyone help please?

Cheers
Ric

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob,

Thanks for the response. To the best of my knowledge, neither machine is set up to have a password. I have checked in the control panel/user account and both show "Create a password" (rather than change a password) as the option.

In the control panel/user account,the user account name on both computers is the same.I hope I'm looking in the right place.

Cheers
Ric

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob,

Thank for the assistance. without wishing to sound thick, which I will,I have two questions.

Firstly, if I need a password, how come I can copy in one direction but not the other? Secondly,where do I set up these network passwords?

Cheers
Ric

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
XP Pro requiring a password for network access is the default setting. It certainly is a setting that can be changed. This would be through the group policies. That might be one explanation. Without seeing how the computers are configured, it's difficult to say from just the information provided so far.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
For what it's worth, I have more than one XP system networked and have never used passwords....also have never messed with group policies to change anything. Everything just worked from the get go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Bob,

NTFS on both machnines. File sharing is enabled on both machines.

I ran the two command prompts. The first, "net view" returned
"System error 5 has occured.
Access is denied."

The "net use" command came back
Status - Disconneted
Local - (blank)
Remote - \\Ric\ICP$

completed successfully

Cheers
Ric

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Are you absolutely sure you have the same account and password created on both computers.

The net use needs to be used to map a network drive.

So the syntax needed to be something like:

Net use x: \\server\share

where:

X: is the drive letter you want to map
Server is the computer's network name
Share is the share on that computer

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Regarding the new view error message 5. Just did a little test and easily replicated the error.

Have two XP computers. Both have the same user accounts and passwords.
From #1, I was able to "net view \\2" - which is what I expected.

Then on #1, I created a new user that was not on #2
The new view failed with the same error message 5

So again, just to make sure everything is configured correctly as far as user accounts, I would create the same users, with passwords, on each one. Then at least you have a baseline to continue working from.

Also since one works and one doesn't who did the OS installs?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.