Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted two weeks ago with a Error: Virtual machine will not load. PC couldn't find printer on LPT1, etc. Rollin' Rog was able to help us work through the main issues and it looked like we were home free.

There are still some clean up issues with the PC it seems. We are getting error messages, saying "____(program)_______ caused a general protection fault in MMSYSTEM.DLL"-- then usually we get the blue screen and a system lock up and lose what we were working on. Have to pull the plug cold at times and go through boot with autorun of scandisk.

At this point, software (in order) that has caused the message is MMTASK, RNAAPP, and IEXPLORE.

Also got one message "MMKEYBD caused an invalid page fault in modult KERNEL32.DLL"

These are frequent -- everytime we're running.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[boot]
oemfonts.fon=vgaoem.fon
shell=Explorer.exe
system.drv=system.drv
drivers=mmsystem.dll power.drv
user.exe=user.exe
gdi.exe=gdi.exe
sound.drv=mmsound.drv
dibeng.drv=dibeng.dll
comm.drv=comm.drv
mouse.drv=mouse.drv
keyboard.drv=keyboard.drv
*DisplayFallback=0
fonts.fon=vgasys.fon
fixedfon.fon=vgafix.fon
386Grabber=vgafull.3gr
display.drv=pnpdrvr.drv

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Well that's what it should be, which makes the problem a lot harder to troubleshoot.

Are any other errors, not involving mmsystem.dll occuring at the same time?

"general protection fault" errors are usually conflicts of some kind over memory space. We might want to try doing a "clean boot" to see if you still get the error. A simple clean boot would be to run msconfig and UN check the startup group on the General page for a test. If no error with all normal startups disabled, then something under the startup tab is causing problems.

Also it might be helpful to know if the error occurs anytime you try to run a sound file, such as a .wav file. To test this go to the Sounds applet in the Control panel and try testing a few sounds there such as "Program Error" or "Question".

And just for the heck of it, go through the steps in the "Resolution" part of this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q136983/

And while you've got the "Multimedia" properties open, check to see what device is selected under Playback > "prefere device". It should be related to your sound card adapter.

Check the Device manager for any marks in Adapter under Sound, Video and game controllers

I think we may also want to use the System File Checker (run: sfc) to restore mmsystem.dll

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
2. Check "Extract one File"
3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did all you suggested here over a period of days to watch what would happen.

I first did the SFC and let it check for files that might be corrupted. It found 6, all of which I was able to replace from windows\options\cabs. Mmsystem wasn't one of the six. Replaced that one too from cabs. This seemed to clear up many of the recurring errors.

We did get a few intermittent errors-- usually while we had been on the net, checking email, accessing a few sites. None of them are showing a conflict with mmsystem.dll.

Yesterday, the system hung on shutdown, which has been very very rare with this machine. Today "mmtask - an error has occurred in your program" and when my wife clicked "ignore" it hung and she had to hit Cntl Alt Del and last resort pull the plug. I tried to use SFC to extract and replace mmtask from the path you suggested and it says "file not found".

Our recovery CDs (1 for OS and 1 for original apps) for this HP do not give us access to individual windows OS files-- I tried. But the CDs do have two autorun options listed in the insert-- one is "they can restore the software on your computer if it becomes corrupted or is accidentaly erased...You can choose to restore all of the software that originally came with your computer without reformatting the hard drive, or you can reformat and then restore al of the original software. Warning: Reformatting removes all the information on the drive. You will lose any software you've installed and any other files you've created since original setup of the PC." So dunno if this is a real option (e.g. would it take us back to Explorer 5.0? Would it reinstall the old McAffee 4.0, which I have replaced with AVG?) I'd probably have to go back and reinstall lots of Microsoft OS patches as well. But sometimes reinstalling Windows is what you have to do to get a clean machine, no?

I then did the multimedia properties checks and devide manager checks. Ran .wav files. Everything looks / sounds okay.

Went to the resolution part of the microsoft support article. Did what it suggested.

This evening did the "clean boot" which tested out okay, but then these problems haven't generally occurred on boot, but when we have been or are connected to the Net. I didn't want to connect to the net without my ZoneAlarm firewall installed. We get too many hacker hits every day to do that.

So, latest is the mmtask error and couldn't selectively replace that file.

But I think we have only had the two errors in several days - the hang on shutdown and the mmtask-and-hang today.

Ideas?

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
The recovery CD you seem to be referring to would likely erase all data on the drive and reinstall only those applications that originally came with it. Really this is not an option for anything but the most serious and irresolvable of errors.

I'm not sure what error you are receiving in "mmtask"? Is this mmtask.exe ?

I believe that is not really a Microsoft file but belongs to MusicMatch -- a media player.

However there are other "mmtask.exe"'s as well -- not something you would want to keep.

http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-mmtask.exe.html

Could you be referring to "mstask.exe" -- that would be the Task Scheduler. It would help to see in full any error message associated with it --

You may have been lucky using the System File Checker. I always recommend that folks get some verification on its results. It can report modified or updated files as sounding corrupt. And some, like mstask.exe are not present in cabinet files.

http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/start-142.shtml

If you are having problems with "mstask.exe" you can disable the Task Scheduler in msconfig > startups.

With respect to the shutdown problems, have you installed the Win98 SE shutdown patch?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/wurecommended/s_wufeatured/win98se/

This may also help with shutdown problems:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows98/downloads/contents/WUCritical/q273017/Default.asp

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the bounce back. I did a find-file and there is no mmtask.exe on the system. There is an mmtask.tsk. Here's what the Iamnotageek site said,

"A check on the file's properties reveals "Multimedia background task support module". MMTASK is a very simple 16-bit program used by certain multimedia drivers (which are still 16-bit on Win9x) to perform background processing. Some soundcards need this to support MIDI, etc"

Checking properties shows this is copyright Microsoft and is a 2kb TSK file located in Windows\System.

I did install that Win 98se shutdown supplement a few years ago. And yesterday had no hang on shutdown. If it does hang on shutdown again, I'll go to the last shutdown troubleshoot site in your post.

So, do you know how MMTASK.TSK might cause these conflicts? One was about a week ago when the error message read, "MMTASK caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL" The other is the one I referenced above from yesterday 1/20 "MMTASK - an error has occurred in your program" and the hang and cold shutdown. They occur while on the Net.

I will be more careful with the System File Checker, as you suggest.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I haven't seen much in the way of such errors in mmtask previously. But obviously we are dealing with a "multimedia" application being run which would call it. If you can recall whether the sites accessed on the web when this happened loaded any special multimedia files it might help track it down. Possibly a java or shockwave flash object could cause it.

I don't think mmtask.tsk is corrupt, but apparently this is another file not present in cabinet files. If you do keep getting errors in it and we can't associate it with another cause, I'll upload a copy from my Win98 system.

By the way, mmtask.tsk when it does load, should show as a "running process" in a HijackThis scanlog. I'm not sure if it shows up in the Close Programs window though.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, Rog. Errors just quit over the past week. System doesn't hang on shutdown. I'll let you know if we get them again, but it seems to be smooth sailing.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Here is a zipped copy of mmtask.tsk from my Win98 FE; I don't think there should be any version compatibility, but after you unzip it, run SFC to replace the file FROM the location where you have it unzipped. Be sure to have SFC backup the existing copy.

Also it doesn't appear that I've ever asked for a HijackThis Scanlog to look at-- possibly because I looked at one of yours in an older thread and found nothing remarkable. Can you post oneusing the latest version?

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

Attachments

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, will switch out files and let you know....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 6:01:58 PM, on 2/7/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\B'S CLIP\BSCLIP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB05.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NETROPA\ONSCRE~1\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SURFXCCELERATOR\SURFX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CMMON32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZSTATX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\EXJ8DWJ6\HIJACKTHIS[1].EXE

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5400
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = ;<local>;*windowsupdate.com;download.microsoft.com;*windowsupdate.microsoft.com;codecs.microsoft.com;activex.microsoft.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: PBlockHelper Class - {4115122B-85FF-4DD3-9515-F075BEDE5EB5} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SURFXCCELERATOR\PBHELPER.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VsEcomrEXE] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\vsecomr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ConMgr.exe] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EARTHLINK 5.0\CONMGR.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateMgr.exe] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EARTHLINK 5.0\UPDATEMGR.EXE" /NOCM
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [B'sCLiP] C:\PROGRA~1\B'SCLI~1\BSCLIP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [agrsmMSG] agrsmMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McAfeeWebScanX] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe /RUNSERVICES
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE"
O4 - Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Mindscape\PrintMaster\PMREMIND.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: SurfXccelerator.lnk = C:\Program Files\SurfXccelerator\surfx.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Show Original Image - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\SURFXCCELERATOR\SURFX.EXE/227
O8 - Extra context menu item: Show All Original Images - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\SURFXCCELERATOR\SURFX.EXE/250
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.hp.com/hpdj/en/check/qdiagh.cab?326

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Well you are showing what may be a trojan in your "running processes":

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CMMON32.EXE

http://castlecops.com/startuplist-6626.html

However I am not seeing how this file is starting. The usual registry/run entry for it is missing.

It may be this:

Cmmon32
Cmmon32.exe
(Microsoft)
Microsoft Connection Manager Monitor. Little known Microsoft program on which there is no documentation.* We have only ever seen it used in conjunction with the Internet dialler provided by some ISPs ? we still do not know what it actually does.
Recommendation*:
There seems to be a definite impact on the performance of the PC when this background task is running.* We do not have a specific recommendation yet, but in our case, whenever we have terminated the task the PC?s performance has improved, the Internet connection has stayed up, and we have observed no consequences as a result of terminating CMMON32.
Find the file and right click on it and select Properties > Version. If it has a Microsoft copyright, ignore the rest of these instructions.

Here's what I'd suggest for now. Boot up in Safe Mode. Instructions here if you need them:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406

In Safe Mode navigate to to that file and try to delete it. If you get an "in use" or "access denied" message, don't force things.

Reboot and download and run Startdreck following the instructions here:

http://www.niksoft.at/_data/startdreck.zip

Instructions:

Run StartDreck.exe. Click the 'Config'. In addition to the default checks, include the following:

Under 'Registry' - All registry options
Under 'System/Drivers' - Running Processes and List Modules
Click 'OK'. Now, back on the main screen, click the 'Save' button > Give it a name and click 'Save' > locate it and launch it.

Upload the log as an attachment since it should be far too long for a copy/paste

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My ISP does use Microsoft Connection Manager to dial up (could that be how it is loading?). The properties on this file show a Microsoft copyright and product / file version 7.00.2008.1. When I scan it with the latest version of AVG, it does not show a virus (virus definitions of yesterday 2.7.05). I also run spybot and adaware weekly or biweekly and they come up negative for that file.

Is it still safe to delete it? It may be needed to maintain the dialup connection. If I boot in safe mode and have not dialed the ISP, the file may not be loaded so system would permit a delete.

Don't know if ISP tech support knows anything-- message said they are closed now at 8:25 CST but normally open 8-8 CST weekdays. If you would like to talk to them to gain knowledge, great, otherwise I can call and see what they have to say. This may be a question they have gotten more than once. USfamily.net 1-800-300-4256. I'd be glad to call if you like. Reluctant to do the rest for now, unless you'd still like the Startdreck log.

Thanks for hanging in there.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about that file then. If you just want to safely find out whether it is really required or not you can just rename it or keep it in the recycle bin. Renaming is one of the safest ways to go. If you see it in the Close Programs Window (ctrl-alt-del), just terminate the process and then try renaming it. Otherwise you will probably have to do it in Safe Mode.

It's certainly not likely to be involved in any mmtask.tsk errors.

However I am wondering a little about:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe

http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-usbmmkbd.exe.html

and:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe

http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-MMKeybd.exe.html

There seem to be multiple keyboard related files in "running processes" but these are the only 04 startups I see.

You can test for any involvement by disabling them through msconfig. All that you will lose, while disabled, is the extra keyboard multimedia functions, such as those for sound or special key configurations that you have enabled.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tks for advice for renaming CMMON32.EXE. Doing this, Microsoft Connection Manager said it couldn't find it and then refused to dial the ISP, so I restored.

Regarding the other two files, we do have a multi-function keyboard, though not USB and we only use volume control buttons. Now that we have replaced MSTASK.TSK, I'll wait with these keyboard files to see if the error messages pop up again. So far they haven't.

Am uploading the STARTDREK.LOG.

Attachments

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I don't see anything out of place in the startdreck log, but it is interesting to note that there is only one instance of mmtask.tsk and none of mmsystem.dll

mmtask.tsk loads only one process kernel32.dll and that is a core process loaded with every task in 9x systems.

General protection faults that occur intermittantly, not every time, are likely to be "conflict" issues, not file corruption issues which would be expected to occur everytime the file was accessed.

There are atleast two items that could be disabled in the scanlog that would result in absolulutely no loss of functionaliity:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe

> is a Messenger Queue Manager of no real use to anyone and we often recommend disabling or removing it for performance issues.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime

> is a possiblility for the error here since it is a "multimedia" application. It doesn not need to run at startup and can always be started from a shortcut.

"msconfig" is the best choice for "disabling" such apps as you can always change your mind.

Since there is no instance of mmsystem.dll in the startdreck log we cannot see what calls that when and if the error includes it.

Also, are you using Earthlink for your ISP? I see two startups for Earthlink, but your host information shows no reference to them as your ISP. ( The host name is: 67.104.219.12.ptr.us.xo.net.)

I've had Earthlink dialup on all my machines for years and have never needed to install their software.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.