Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
System: Dell Dimension 3000 new, WindowsXP with SP2. When I click to turn off computer, it often hangs (perhaps 20% of the time) and an error message appears that says the program is delayed in shutting down, and if I want to end task now, click on that, but I'll lose data. Otherwise click on cancel. this then cycles round and round repeatedly.
I learned that there is a program listed in the title. On one occasion something on the order of <SMax4PNP.> On another occasion <DDE Server.>
What are these programs, what do they do, should I leave them alone, do something else, or what?
Thank you. Geezer77

·
Retired Moderator
72,109 Posts
Create a permanent folder on your hard drive like c:\program files\hjt.
Download Hijackthis again and click "Save", direct it to the permanent folder you created. Double click on hijackthis.exe and select Do a system scan and save a logfile. This log will open in notepad. Copy and paste the log back here for review.

Don't make any changes until instructed to do so.

To create a permanent folder click My Computer, then C:\ next click on Program files.
In the menu bar click on File, New, Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\Program files\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.