Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I boot-up, I receive an error message which says:

Can not load C:\windows\system32\NVMCTRAY.DLL

Everything seems to run OK, but I just may not have tried to run something that needs this .dll. This occured shortly, but not in direct connection with, an attempt to upgrade my graphics driver.

Any help anyone can be would be most welcome. I'm pretty good on applications, but not real experienced with these kinds of problems.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Did you remove a Nvidia player? This is usually associated with Nvida video drivers and or player.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did. Windows advised a driver upgrade, but the download said it didn't have any for my hardware. To run the download, they recommended I remove the existing drivers, but I was cautious and only removed the old NVIDA drivers and kept the XT ones...so I guess that's it. What should I do about it, if anything?

btw, thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
How did you remove the software? Via ADD/REMOVE icon in the Control Panel? Do you have a Nvida based video? Your error message is because Windows is trying to load a program that doesn't exsist. You might have to reinstall the Nvida Player and then remove it properly. This usually happens when a program has been deleted without using it's UNINSTALL program or the ADD/REMOVE programs in Windows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did remove it through Control Panel, but I guess something messed up. I'll try to locate the program (it came installed) & reload & remove...unless you have any other suggestions?

Thanks, again...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
That will help but if your computer "savy" a little bit, you can go into MSCONFIG and see if that entry is ther it refers to. In other words, START/Run and type: msconfig and OK. See if the reference .dll is listed there. Uncheck it if so, or you can go to the Registry Editor (Start/Run and type: regedit ) and navigate to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/RUN and delete the entry the .dll file references to. As always, back up the Registry first. Bottom Line, Somewhere, be it the Win.ini folder or in the Registry, Windows is looking to start a program that isn't there, thus your error. Remove the reference and the error is gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.