Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Epson Stylus Photo 750 connected to my computer by parallel cable, which, until three days ago was printing anything I needed in superb quality.

Three days ago I changed an empty cartridge, and started the printer. It went through a head cleaning sequence, and when that was completed all four lights flashed continuously, and I could do nothing with it.

I searched on the net for any info on this, and found that Epson apparently build in obsolescence with a piece of software which causes an irreversible loss of function after a preset number of headcleaning cycles. They claim that it is to prevent spillage af ink from the waste collection system, but this is obvious nonsense as the ink evaporates and never reaches overflow point (I have stripped the printer down to confirm this and the box is almost bone dry).

I have found and downloaded software known as SSC Service Utility, which is supposed to reset the counter and allow the printer to work, but cannot use it as the PC refuses to recognise the printer at all.

Can anyone suggest a way forward. I am a pensioner, barely making ends meet, and it may be months before I can spare the money for a new printer, and in any case, I don't want to throw away a perfectly good machine if I can avoid it

Don T

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had the same printer that worked fine for ages and then one day all the lights were stuck on.

Epson didnt mention what you have but said basically the printer was dead, and it never worked again.

You could try reinstalling the drivers or mebbe a new cable as you said it wont recognise the printer.

Is there a USB port on there ?

Gus

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gus

Drivers have been re-installed but no reaction from the printer. Computer reports that it cannot find any plug 'n play device, and when looking for non PnP, just twiddles its thumbs.

There are two other ports at rear of printer:-

1. Looks like a PS2 mouse connector, and carries no sign to indicate what it is.

2. Carries the USB symbol, but is a strange square shape, rather than the long thin slot I was expecting.

I'll have to see if I can borrow a cable from somewhere and try it out.

Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me again Gus,

Just checked, and my cable modem seems to have the right cable to try out , so will have a go once I log off the net.

I'll let you know what follows.

Don

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hi

The longer shaped USB goes into the pc. the other end for the printer is more or less square, try a USB cable, although you will have to alter the port settings, it may be easier to do a new install with the USB cable connected, if you are not quite sure what to do.

Gus

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Also note that many printers and scanners (I use Epson for both) require that you install the USB drivers/software before plugging the printers USB cable into the printer. The driver software should tell you when to make the connection.
I would uninstall the printer and drivers/software, reboot, install the drivers for the USB connection.
You can plug the USB cable into the computer but leave the connection to the printer itself until the driver installation tells you to plug it in to the computer.
Bear in mind that the printer may also be truly dead and that none of this may work.
The USB cable for most devices like that use the traditional wide flat connection for the computer end and a smaller "square" connection for the printer/scanner end. Also the connection for cameras and very small devices such as MP3 players will have an even smaller end connection with a slightly different shape. Then just to further confuse the customer, I have a Timex Data wristwatch that uses a snap-on USB connection to the side the time piece.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Having tried out every which way, the computer still isn't recognising the presence of a printer, so I guess I'll have to accept the fact that it is effectively kaput.

Many thanks
Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.