Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have the strangest problem with my emails. I am using windows XP and Outlook Express 6. I have two accounts on Outlook Express, one is a RoadRunner account and the other is Hotmail. About an hour ago I noticed that my RoadRunner in box had jumped from approx 25 unread messages to 522. My Hotmail in box has 420 unread messages which is about usual. I looked at the messages on RR and found that there were 3 sets of messages (that probably amount to 500 or so) that are addressed to the Hotmail account, but are in the RR inbox. These same messages are also still in the Hotmail in box. I sent a couple of test emails to the Hotmail address and they went to both the RR and Hotmail in boxes. Test emails sent to RR went only to that account.

I have made the following changes recently:

1. Aug. 1 - Changed my email server from Adelphia.net to RoadRunner.com. I have not noticed any problems and have been receiving email fine.

2. Aug 20 - Tried to do a back up using the back up feature that is included in Norton360, but discovered it does not back up programs.

2. Aug. 21 - Subscribed to Mozy and did a complete back up of files and programs, but not systems.

3. Aug 23 - Changed my Hotmail from http to Pop3 in OE because I received an email from Windows Live that I had to do this to keep receiving Hotmail in OE.

I'm not sure exactly when the emails moved to RR, I know it was not before Aug. 20.

I'm sorry this is so long; I wanted to give as complete a description of the problem as possible.

Thank you, I really appreciate any help or advice.

Sierra

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Sierra140,

Switching your Hotmail to POP3 causes your Hotmail messages to be placed in your OE Inbox. This is by design.

You see two copies of a single Hotmail message because you probably still have the Hotmail HTTP account listed in OE. In OE, go to Tools > Accounts. If you see a Hotmail account listed there as HTTP, you can remove it.

If you want your Hotmail messages to go to a folder other than your OE Inbox, then you can create a rule moving any messages received from your Hotmail address to a different folder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I understand about the pop3 sending the emails to OE hotmail account, but why would it also send it to my RoadRunner in box. Messages sent to RoadRunner do not go to Hotmail. Also does anyone have any idea why approx 500 emails already in the hotmail in box would suddenly show up in the RR in box? I really appreciate you help.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Don't think of it as your RoadRunner Inbox, think of it as your OE Inbox.

For example: If you have three email accounts ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected]) and they are all setup in OE as POP3 accounts then messages from all three addresses are going to go to your OE Inbox.

If on the other hand you mean that your Hotmail messages are being forwarded to your RoadRunner account, then on the Hotmail website go to Options > More options > Forward mail to another e-mail account and make sure that you do not have this feature enabled to forward your Hotmail messages to your RoadRunner account.

I hope I'm understanding you correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.