Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while filing a bug report in debian i discovered that it was able to get mail out to my suprise, under my hotmail adress, using my local smtp host. Is it possible to set up my mailer (currently sendmail or another mailer (qmail, smail etc) to send email like that?

For example, while i'm connected, i'd want to be able to use a mail client (T-Bird?) to email, under my hotmail account. (I know, i know, i should get off that hotmail crack, but... its so addictive!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your question - as stated - indicates you have no idea what really happened.

So, let me take a SWAG at it.

You were filling out a local form (local to your debian system) and it sent the e-mail to a remote system.

You dont need a SMTP server on YOUR system to send out mail -- you can actually use telnet (to port 25) to connect to the remote smtp system and enter SMTP commands directly.

Is Thunderbird (Mozilla) available for your system? Just set it up for pop3 access to your hotmail acct and use movemail as the delivery agent.

HTH/Sx

PS - There are many other possibilityies about what really happened.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by -Sx-:
Your question - as stated - indicates you have no idea what really happened.

:p, yup, that pretty much is it. I have no freaking clue as to how it did it.

Originally posted by -Sx-:
So, let me take a SWAG at it.

You were filling out a local form (local to your debian system) and it sent the e-mail to a remote system.

You dont need a SMTP server on YOUR system to send out mail -- you can actually use telnet (to port 25) to connect to the remote smtp system and enter SMTP commands directly.

Is Thunderbird (Mozilla) available for your system? Just set it up for pop3 access to your hotmail acct and use movemail as the delivery agent.

HTH/Sx
PS - There are many other possibilityies about what really happened.
So, then i have a couple of questions: First off, What is Movemail. I took a look at their site, and is it just a free email provider?

The problem is that hotmail no longer offers POP3 acess, although i might be able to acess it via a small application. I'm just wondering (mainly) how to do the initial setup for outgoing mail. Of course, i'm seriously thinking of dropping hotmail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"movemail" isnt an application so much as a function of getting mail INTO yuour reader (MUA.)

The basics are -- Get maill OFF the remote system via IMAP or POP3 -- then store in on YOUR local file system. Movemail is the function you choose for that on your local system -- it should be an option inside the T-Bird MUA.

To set up out going will be trickier as I have no idea whether you have mail sendmail postfix exim - what MTA do you have?

I use Solaris on an Ultrasparc and I compile everyting by hand - I use Postfix and Mozilla. So I have true SMTP on my system.

Try this: at a command prompt $ or % try

mutt [enter]

See if you can send out mail using mutt -- if so you can send out mail using T-Bird.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Let's see what you have first (my money is exim)

Try -

lsof |grep -i tcp |grep 25

That will say what and where

-Sx-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm, netstat -a see if smtp is running on the loopback:

netstat -a |grep :25
or ... netstat -a |grep smtp

On mine -
*.smtp *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN

If it is - you can send out but not receive.
-Sx-

·
Registered
637 Posts
Debian comes with exim...it will say sendmail, but it is only to make things happy that look for it. Unless you removed Exim and apt-got sendmail I can promise you it is exim.

As for if it is running, it should be set up to run to deliver local mail by the default installation. Since you're not sure what is going on I think I can safely assume you have not tried to modify it.

look in /etc/ for a folder called exim.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No, that 0 is ALL nets inside your system.

As is you shouold be able to send amd recieve e-mail -- try sending out e-mail and see if you can reply using

mail [email protected] < somefile

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
unrouteable mail domain "hotmail.com"

Should i be editing the /etc/emailadresses file?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, i tried Exim. Exim wasent doing it for me, al though , i did find somthing that works well for me.

I have set up my system using hotway <hotwayd.sf.net>, and sylpheed claws (with my ISPs smtp server). So far it works fine, although, i cant retrive mail from anywhere but my inbox, and at least one server so far has spit back my mail because it came from a diffrent smtp server than hotmail itself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.