Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help opening a e-mail file. I am trying to open a important email file that i can save to my computer and, it is a resume that was done profesionally. When i try to open the attached file a message come up saying " This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action, create an association in the set association control panel". If anybody can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi, See you are awaiting reply (sorry Ben)- right click on attachment and it will show the extension type e.g. wmv , doc ,xls etc.. This should tell you what type of file it is. You may have to look at the properties of the document (attachment!)
AL

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi, Sorry for the delay, been busy & haven't checked this forum. When you open your E-mail, it will have an attachment to it that is named in the "attachment box". Look at it's name, which is followed by a period (dot) and then three characters, for example .doc,.xls,.jpg,.txt. That's the extension which is needed to know about.
Ben

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ben. Sorry about yesterday it turned out to be a busy day. The file is a doc. when I click to open it, it brings it up in Adobe. Any ideas Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes i do have MS word, when i try to move the file into word it doesnt show up. Here's what im doing, I right click on the attachment then i click save, I tell it where to go, then when i check to see if i can open it in word its not there. Getting alitle frustrated with this file, and I wouldnt care but i need it. Anything you can do to walk me through this i would appreciate. Thanks

·
Registered
937 Posts
Can't you ask the original sender to send it again in Word format? Even when the extension is doc, it may not be a Word file. Could be a WordPerfect file (though that normally ends with wpd), or some other software.

·
Trusted Advisor (deceased)
5,176 Posts
Yes i do have MS word, when i try to move the file into word it doesnt show up. Here's what im doing, I right click on the attachment then i click save, I tell it where to go, then when i check to see if i can open it in word its not there. Getting alitle frustrated with this file, and I wouldnt care but i need it. Anything you can do to walk me through this i would appreciate. Thanks
Hi cwis,

To set .doc files to open with Word.
On the menu bar of any folder, click Tools>Folder Options>File types tab.
Scroll down the list to DOC and click it.
Click the Change button.
If Word is on the list, select it. If not, click browse and browse to Winword, select it and OK.
Check the box "Always use selected program to open this type of file".
Click OK.
The .doc attachment should open with Word on a double click.
T.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.