Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, its an emachine that was given to me to figure out. I have so far figured out that the PSU and motherboard are dead. But here is a weird one for you, I pulled it out and searched the board for any problems that could be seen. I flipped it over and checked the traces and found something wierd. There was a 3 pin mini cap soldered to the board under the last PCI slot, witha green jumper wire to a barrel cap on the topside. Why woudl this be done? could it be undone and possibly work? It looks like it was repaired once before and not sure why and what they were trying to accomplish. Not sure if this was/is even the issue with it. But this is what it would do:

Oroginally it would boot up, but freeze after a few minutes of use. Then it wouldn't boot until it had cooled off. Then the same thing again. Then a month later after doing som research I tried a new PSU and the board did nothing, so I tried another PSU, again nothing. I tried the PSU's on another system to verify they were good and they were. SO I have deemed the board as dead. But if this little "fix" was a problem and could perhaps bring it back to life...

It is a high school students computer project, and their goal is to make it work again without spending more than $50 for parts. I know I could throw a cheap motherboard at it and make it work, but if I could figure out why the jumper or what it was jumped for and could fix this board, then that would save the money for another upgrade.

Thanks guys!

I am attaching a photo of the area in question

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.