Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a kodak z650, and it's never given me any problems, I didn't even use the easyshare software because it irritated me so much when I had used it once at a friend's place. I've always just plugged in the camera, and seen it under my computer, but now when I plug it it makes that "broken" usb noise letting me know that things aren't alright. and the add hardware manager in windows says that I don't have the drivers for it, yet when I go to the kodak page or search for kodak drivers, all I get is the easyshare software.
So I installed the easyshare software, and don't get the broken sound anymore, but I still couldn't access the camera from "my computer". Then I tried uninstalling the software and it makes the broken sound again. Please help me figure out how to use the pictures I've taken.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hmmm not sure what a 'broken' sound is. But it could be that your USB cable is faulty, this is assuming you've tried other USB ports as well, to make sure it's not the port itself that is at fault.

Now if it is the cable you can easily replace that, but a better option is to get a card reader, it's quicker and doesn't require your camera to be connected at all :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've plugged into different ports, and nothing has happened to the cable.
the "broken" sound i refer to is strange to explain.
You know when you unplug in a usb device in winxp, you haer the two tone noise, the one I hear when plugging in is a stuttered three tone which clearly sounds like a "broken" message.
I've reinstalled the software and STILL can't get to my camera, now it makes the broken sound i mentioned.
I don't want to buy an adapter because I shouldn't need one, this worked the entire time I've had the camera (it doesn't get used alot to get and damage) and now I just want it to do what it is supposed to again.

·
Registered
637 Posts
How do you know nothing has happened to the cable?

I had a car that worked the entire time that I drove it, then one day it didn't. :)

Things do fail, the USB cable is quite fragile inside with a squillion wires. As is the socket in the camera, just a grain of sand or grit in there and the cable pushed in will damage it.

The two-tone noise you hear, is the UNSAFE removal message coming from windows. You should disconnect the device BEFORE removal, using the 'safely remove hardware' icon in the system tray. The other noise you mention I've never heard. Perhaps someone else has?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well...gee... shame you didn't say THAT before !

I'll ask one further question, then I'll leave it.

Have you tried other devices in the USB sockets?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.