Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I'm in the right place here.
Win2000Pro, 256 RAM 40 Gig Hard Drive
Recently my former ISP, joi, was sold to EL.
For over a month I've been trying to get the accelerator to work.
I've spent much time talking to EL online and on the phone to no avail.
All they can tell me is to remove all the software and reinstall it.
After my last install I can't even get the accelerator to install at all.
Have tried to do it using the toolbox in the task panel, then by typing in run - d:\windows\access\accelerator.msi and by clicking on install thru updates.
Nothing works - it goes thru the motions and then nothing!
If I go to control panel>add/remove programs and click on earthlink, it doesn't show up in the list either.
It doesn't show that it needs to be added in the EL Updates.
It doesn't show up in regedit either.
Thanks for any input or ideas.
Of course when I found out joi was selling out, I hurried and paid a year in advance to get the lower joi price :D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
You better think long and hard before installing that accelerator! I too switched to EL from Access4less{going out of business and worked out a deal with EL for us and had to pay a year in advance to get the lower price}. Have had nothing but trouble ever since.
They want to control your pute just like AOL,and if you don't let them you'll have all sorts of problems. Slow surfing,disconnected all the time etc.Also if you have a 2nd ISP on the same computer, whoa be unto you when they find out and they will!

They also want to update you to death!
When my year is up I already know what I'll do and can't wait! Just hope I can get all their garbage off my pute at that time!
Oh and I had them some years ago and they were bad then and havn't change a bit, if not worse!

Sorry for venting and back to my first point. I hope you are aware that accelerators are not what they claim and can be more trouble then they're worth! But you are already finding out that and why I just vented about EL.
Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Ratboy.
I have the CD and have uninstalled and reinstalled it so many times since they took over joi.
Iaavagent,
I've used the propel accelerator from joi for at least 2 years and have been very satisfied with it.
It seems EL sucks up all the little suffering ISP's when they get a chance.
This is my second time to be absorbed by EL - like you, didn't like them the first time either. They seemed to be handling this absorption so much better that I decided to give it a try.
I had to turn the spam blocker off as they were tossing my emails from my friends. :eek:
I finally got it to work for a couple of hours yesterday. When it works, it's great. Of course, it's not working now. :D
What I was told yesterday is that the "help" I'd gotten from some of the earthlink people caused much of my problems. Go figure.
I was hoping someone else had resolved the same problem. ;)
Thanks!

·
Registered
485 Posts
bhamlinda, did you pay extra for the accelerator? We had to pay an extra $5 a month to get it from EL. $9.95 w/o, $14.95 with. Same with the previous ISP of which I didn't buy nor with EL.
Thanks
PS, you might want to try this in a different section or have a moderator move it out of TIPS and Tricks into ? as to get better attention. Then again it might be ok here.?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had it w/joi and wanted it w/EL. I was paying $12.99/month w/joi - but as soon as I saw I could get the same price w/EL, I opted to pay for the year - that way,including the accelerator, it's 10.99/month for the first year.
It will go up to ~$155/year the second year as I recall.
When it works, it's fantastic. Since 5/9 I'd say mine has worked about 6 hours tops.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry I edited my post as you were posting. See my PS. Take care and Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good idea! Now to figure out how to contact a moderator, :D

·
Administrator
13,568 Posts
I've had Earthlink for five years and have been very satisfied with them and with their tech support, for the most part. Only twice had I gotten someone that did not know how to help me, and I simply asked to speak with their supervisor, ;)

Anyway, about the accelerator, yes, you do need to make sure you have Total Access 2005. Check your CD, because it's been known to happen that stores and other businesses do not have the latest one.

Accelerators in general are not, IMO, that great, though it may be because I have such a slow connection it doesn't make any difference. Living in the boonies, I can only get but so much speed because of the phone line.

So, when I wanted to update the software, I get Earthlink to send me a CD-ROM, it's easier to wait for that than to try to download the software and I have it to install again, should I have a computer meltdown, or something. When I got the CD, I did not install the accelerator, it only works with IE anyway, and I use Firefox as my default browser. Firefox has it's own "tweak" extension that accelerates it, does a good job of it, even I noticed a difference, and so I've been more satisfied with that than with an IE "accelerator."

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
bhamlinda said:
Hope I'm in the right place here.
Win2000Pro, 256 RAM 40 Gig Hard Drive
Recently my former ISP, joi, was sold to EL.
For over a month I've been trying to get the accelerator to work.
I've spent much time talking to EL online and on the phone to no avail.
All they can tell me is to remove all the software and reinstall it.
After my last install I can't even get the accelerator to install at all.
Have tried to do it using the toolbox in the task panel, then by typing in run - d:\windows\access\accelerator.msi and by clicking on install thru updates.
Nothing works - it goes thru the motions and then nothing!
If I go to control panel>add/remove programs and click on earthlink, it doesn't show up in the list either.
It doesn't show that it needs to be added in the EL Updates.
It doesn't show up in regedit either.
Thanks for any input or ideas.
Of course when I found out joi was selling out, I hurried and paid a year in advance to get the lower joi price :D
Hi bhamlinda,
Here is what I do in order to uninstall/reinstall Earthlink software:
1) Backup your Email .MDB file and other files in the Mailbox folder using WinZip (under Documents and Settings for your user account)
2) Use Add/Remove from Control Panel to uninstall (select option to save your configuration) assuming you installed using the CD from Earthlink for TA 2005.
3) Reboot
4) Use the EarthLink Total Access 2005 CD to do the initial install
5) I have the following downloads on my disk to update from CD to latest version of EarthLink TotalAccess 2005 (version 2005.2.104.0). Apply them in order:

a) Update_2005_1_to_2005_1_1.exe (1,311 KB)
b) TA_2005_2_Update.exe (14,716 KB)
c) TA_2005_2_r2_Update.exe (166 KB)

If you have the CD, then visit the Earthlink download website and download the updates or when you install from the CD, run the Software Update from the Task Panel Options and try to select download instead of install for the updates. Once you have all of the updates its a breeze. Then reinstall the Email .MDB and files back into the appropriate directory, i.e. Mailbox folder under Documents and Setting for WinXP.

-- Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Okay.. My suggestion simply put..

If you have the ability to do so.. Get TA 2004, and download the accelerator, it might be a downgrade, but 2005 has quite a few conflictions with things (including the spam blocker conflicting with java programs, at least in my case.)

If you're still having problems, I would call EA tech support, and make sure you choose the "For all other technical difficulties, please press.. 4", and if they keep giving you the same run around, demand to talk to a supervisor, and make sure you sound like you mean business.

EA has for the most part outstanding tech support, but sometimes it's a real pain to get anywhere with them.

Note:

I had to re-install 2004 and download the accelerator due to the fact that my computer severly conflicted with 2005 version. My accelerator wouldn't work, so I just downgraded.

it might be more difficult for tech support to immediately help you if you use 2004, but they should still be able to.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've uninstalled the 2005 a gazillion times in the last month and a half.
The CD I'm using is the one that EL sent when they took over Joi in May.
I had a 2004 CD and installed it as I thought maybe I had a bad CD - same problem.
All the EL CD's I have are ones sent by EL to me.
They decided some of Joi was still in the computer and sent me the stuff to load Joi so I could uninstalll it
I won't bore you with all I've had to do - or the number of times I've talked to the techies. The senior guys decided it was the techies who made the initial problem get worse.
They decided it was my firewall so I removed it. still had the problem
There's a 6 man team in Atlanta who have been hashing this over and they are going to contact Propel (I think they make all the accelerators) to see what can be done.
They say they've had one other problem just like mine that they solved. So, I ask, if you've solved this issue before, why can you not solve it now? :confused:
I got tired of them yesterday and decided just to let it go for the weekend.
Lo and behold! it started working last night and has been going between 12 and 15 times faster. Not so sure how long it will run this time. :D
When it works, it's great! And I"ve spent more time trying to solve it than time I've saved :D
I am thrilled with this when it works!
I have talked with several supervisors - and when I told them I wanted a refund and I'd find another ISP, they had the guys from Atlanta call me. I have to admit these guys are really trying.
I'm not going to do anything else if it keeps working and if it stops, I'll follow ya'll's advice to see how that works!
As an aside, being a news junkie, I love the news scrolling bar! ;)
Thanks, everyone, for your help and input!
This forum is the best!
(I guess I better go make a donation to the forum right now!)
Thanks again - Everytime I have a problem I know I can come here and get help. I keep reading and learning here too - maybe I'll be able to help someone someday ;) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.