Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I want to reserve a name JUST for e-mail not a domain for a website.

IE: [email protected]

1- Can I just reserve e-mail domain ?
2- I'd like to download the e-mails to my pc too. Or does it have to be web based only ?
3- Anyone have a good site to check out.
4- THANKS FOR YOUR HELP :p

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you register a domain name you don't have to set up a website or use it for a website, you can just use it for email - which will still arrive via the web through the company that hosts your domain.

When you register, it's the domain name after the '@' that gets reserved, you can't specify anything before it. If you register a domain and point your email program to the hosting address, then all emails addressed to that domain will come to your pc regardless of what is typed before the '@'. You can then configure your system to deliver emails sent to different names to different users - ie in an office for example.

If you don't register your own domain and use ie hotmail or yahoo or whatever, then you will be given an 'exclusive' name to go in front of the @, but there are probably several other people named matt brooks who have done this, which is why you'll end up with mattbrooks265 or something.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi Matt

I don't know where you are located but I would suggest looking at www.uk2.net. I use this company for my domains and have not had any problems.

If you're not in the UK I don't know whether you can use them or not - but there must be many companies advertising hosting and registration services that you could find by searching the web. You could then compare their prices and the services they offer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.