Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start I am a rookie, hense my mess! I was trying to help a friend fix a problem (the PC would say something like "Windows was improperly shut down... 1) Restore to last known good restore point 2) Start Windows normally and 30 I dont recall. ) any of these selections took you to a black screen that wouldnt let you do anything. So, on the advice of a "friend" I ran "Wipe Disk" and cleared the HD. Now I was told to just insert the XP disk and fire it up and re enstall it. It wont work. I went to the Bios and the CD rom is the 1st boot priority but still no luck. I even tried Dos prompt and typed "setup" and says something about it not being Dos executable. What do I need to do? I am now trying to help friend via phone and it is even more confusing. How do I get XP back on this "E-Machine"?

HPgeek

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It comes up with a black screen with a flashing underline cursor. The only way I can do anything is by leaving the "WipeDisk" floppy in. But then it bypasses the CDrom and pulls the floppy up. I dont get this either as in the BIOS it has CDrom 1st

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if I leave it in I am informed c: is not formated something about Fat32. I think a walk through of the "right" way to install would help. Doing this by phone doesnt help much either, LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I wiped it I could pull a "dir" from dos. Now unless I have the wipedisk floppy in I cant even get the c: or the d: to show in dos. Im at a loss

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Or they using a store bought XP Disk or By chance being an emachine does the person have the restore disk that came with the PC? I know most emachines come with restore disks going way back. Not that this is the immediate issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.