Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic vs Static IP's?

918 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Okay so I currently have an ISP that offers the standard "2 Dynamic IP's" and I'm wondering how to utilize this? The tech guy said I need a HUB...but I'm not sure what kind and where to get one etc. Secondly, even if I am able to get this second IP going, will they be entirely separate IP addresses? I need the IP addresses to be completely separate and untraceable to the same source. Is this the case or can you somehow trace back the two dynamic IP's to the same source IP? Will I need two different static IP's if I want the two connections to be entirely separate, unrelated, and untraceable from each other?

#2 ·
chances are, no. If it's coming from the ISP, they will assign you IP's to your house/apartment. Those will be the FAR side of the router; your internal IP's will come from the router/switch you purchase for the inside of your house.

Why do you need untraceable IP's anyhow?

#3 ·
What do you mean "those will be the FAR side of the router" not quite sure I understand that part. Basically I should be able to plug in a CAT5 cable on one of the 4 ports and it should give me a 2nd IP address?

It's for work - it's nothing illegal don't worry but I'm not able to divulge what it's for as to not jeopardize my job.

#4 ·
What do you mean "those will be the FAR side of the router" not quite sure I understand that part. Basically I should be able to plug in a CAT5 cable on one of the 4 ports and it should give me a 2nd IP address?
Nope. You will need an entire second router and an entire second far side IP address, that will have to come from the ISP.

It's for work - it's nothing illegal don't worry but I'm not able to divulge what it's for as to not jeopardize my job.
Have you contacted your work about this? We generally can't assist with work-related machines; lord knows I'd be a bit upset if someone in my building circumvented the network rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.