Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to play a dvd in media center I recieved a message saying mc could not locate my dvd player. I opened computer and found that both the dvd player (Sony dvd rom DDu1611) and the dvd burner (HP DVD Writer 840b) icons were missing. I opened device manager and and found that both roms had exclamation marks on them and when I clicked on them the message 'no drivers were loaded or drivers were corrupted' in the status box. I tried to reload the drivers but vista said the best drivers were already installed. System information shows both roms with an error in each of them. The player was working two days ago and both roms work in xp home on the other drive. The only thing I installed was an avs dvd player software, I uninstalled the software and even used restore but nothing has worked. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what other things I might be able to do get vista to recognize or reload the drivers. Thanks for any help.....

·
Super Moderator
46,540 Posts
I had the same issue and it seems to have to do with the filters for the driver. One thing I have found is if you dual boot with xp, when you load xp it either removes or corrupts the restore points preventing you from doing a system restore. I ended up doing a restore from an acronis image to fix the problem.
Sorry it is not more help :(

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I wonder if the filters are in the same registry keys in Vista?

·
Super Moderator
46,540 Posts
JohnWill said:
I wonder if the filters are in the same registry keys in Vista?
I do not think so because I went into the registry and remove them manually and it would not even boot after that. I had to do a restore with an acronis image. I learned the lesson; before installing ANY software, I make a new image.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what you've said, this sounds like a bleedover problem. I'm running xp home on the master and rc1 on the slave and to switch I just restart and hit my esc button till the boot menu comes up and then pick my os. I've been copying personal files from xp to vista via drag and drop which was probably not a good idea and may have helped in the corruption of vital data in vista. Have to chalk that up to inexperience, dumb but learning. Since I don't have any rom can I still use that program you suggested, or maybe I should just go for a full reinstall of vista?

·
Super Moderator
46,540 Posts
No, I know when it happened. I tried to install nero 6 [yes I know it is unsupported] and that is what caused the optical drive problem. I guess next time I will believe it really is not supported :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just finished my ninth reinstall of vista as I was not able to find a way to restore my dvd roms or reload their drivers, nor was I able to discover what caused the drivers to disappear or why I could not reinstall them. Just another dark mystery one finds when one dares to enter the 'vista' zone...................HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

·
Super Moderator
46,540 Posts
Alegro said:
I have just finished my ninth reinstall of vista as I was not able to find a way to restore my dvd roms or reload their drivers, nor was I able to discover what caused the drivers to disappear or why I could not reinstall them. Just another dark mystery one finds when one dares to enter the 'vista' zone...................HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!
Did you do a clean install or try and repair the system? I tried the repair option and it did not work; I had to clean install to get the drives back. I am sure that as we become more experienced with vista, we will find the cause and someone will write a script to fix the missing drives like with xp or win2k.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After two days of trying to repair the system I finally had to do a clean install in order to get the roms back. I have been trying remember what it I did to cause this problem and the only thing I can think of is I downloaded two or three dvd player software programs since my cyberlink in incompatible with vista. I am wondering if the software from one of those programs may have cause the problems. Will probably never know, I didn't try to save them before I reformatted the drive. Oh well, maybe someday Microsoft will be compatible with the rest of the world, and maybe cows will sprout wings.......................................

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'm sure this kind of issue is going to pop up all the time until we all get used to Vista and it's oddities.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi,
Thought I'd chase up a thread in Vista that had this topic.
I was sure it would be here :)
This windows article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
tells you how to fix this issue.
Interestingly, its the same issue I had several years ago with XP.
Have just fixed my sons new pc so he can see the drive.
But surprised it was the same fix.

Posting this to save someone a headache.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.