Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been getting different info back when I ask friends
which of the DVD recording disks is best, and if there are
significant differences between them.

Mainly, I'm taking .avi video files to DVD format, using both
DVDshrink (DVD to DVD) and Sonic's MyDVD.

Does one form of disk work better than another ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
each format has it's features and limitations and may or may not play well in your dvd player

clear yet :)

my jvc plays +r and -r equally well, various brands not an issue
+/-rw (rewritable) is quirky, depends on the weather i think LOL

and the quality of the dvd (ie brand name vs no name) is a significant factor too

almost a trial and error approach really

here's an everything you wanted to know guide:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

and here's a dvd player guide, see what others think
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

also a media guide on the site

btw: how do you like the sonic software?
got it with my dvd writer but haven't used it yet

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
There really isn't any inherent quality difference between the two--it is simply a standard that came up by two different companies. There are players and burners (like Sony and Go-Video as an example) that will burn and play both formats, so that's a good answer. As a practical matter, the only difference is some play in some players and not in others. And it is only two formats-- -r and +r. The "rw" means that disc is re-writable where as the "r" means it is record once only. You might say well why get the "r" is you can only record once. Well, for one thing it is a bit cheaper, but also, some players will play the "r" format fine, but not the "rw", so the "r" is a safer bet for compatibility with the most players (and by "r", I mean either "-r" or "+r").

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Mulder, jbcalg, and titus4yuna,

Thanks for the input. I suppose it's (without becoming a Ph.D in
DVD formatics and styles) what works is the main factor.

www.dvddemystified.com seems to have a lot of good information,
but it's about two years old.

Anybody want to tell me if DVD-RW disks ARE rewritable ? And
if so, how many times ?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
DVD-RW are rewriteable.. How many times probably depends on the quality of the disk. If you buy cheap disks, you get what you pay for..

By the way, DVD-R is playable by a slightly larger number of DVD players, so you may wish to stick with that format for movie DVD's.. If your questionable if the format will read on a player, then check here http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers , do a search with the model numbers of the player and it will tell you what format plays on it.

DVD+R's have some advantages in the error correction department when burning data to a disk, so it's slightly better for data backups.

The best brands for quality is debatable, but Memorex, Verbatim, and TDK are close to the top.. Khypermedia and generic house brands are close to the bottom.. The brand you use makes a lot of difference in the readability.

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
dogbonz said:
Anybody want to tell me if DVD-RW disks ARE rewritable ? And
if so, how many times ?

Thanks again,
You'll probably never wear a disc out by re-writing it--more likely it will wear out from age. That's the good thing about DVD--its not like VCR tapes that degrage very quickly as you continue to record over and over on them.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.