Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVD drive on laptop

Tags
dvd drive
387 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
A friend just bought a new computer laptop. When he attempted to install old data and backup software he discovered the new computer had no disk drive! Clearly he needs one to restore the data and apps that he needs to work with, burn a disk for a client or watch a movie (you still get movies on DVDs).

Obviously the problem could be eventually solved by buying an external drive, but this omission was not mentioned at the time of his purchase. In the past, a drive was always part of the computer. Now if he needs to carry around another piece of hardware to load software or burn a disk, portability is more cumbersome.

Is the drive omission on new computers become a practice? Will you still be able to buy a new laptop with a built-in drive?

#3 ·
To get the old data off the old machine just use a USB stick or drive, depending on volume, and transfer across. Unlike disks usb drives can be reused. You can store and use files on a USB device in the same way as a disc. USB sticks can be clipped to a key ring or kept in a wallet. USB drives are quite thin and are very portable

#4 ·
Yes even a lot of the new PC cases don't have a place for a DVD drive in the front. I use USB's but I still like my optical drives. My brother had to pull out a floppy drive and hook it up to this ladies computer to update the Bios because it got corrupted in a power surge, wouldn't boot from USB. He got it going again!

#5 ·
I purchased netbooks in 2007 (Asus), Acer in 2011 and Acer in 2013. None has an optical drive. So no, this is not a new development. Manufacturers stopped putting them in to make the devices lighter and thinner so they'd be easier to transport. I certainly appreciate the lightness compared to my first laptop that had a DVD drive.
All have an sd card slot and 3 USB ports. See what slots are available. I'd never consider a unit with less than 3 USB ports because I have a wireless mouse in one and if I choose to use it, my portable DVD burner takes up 2 USB ports to supply enough power.
I have a portable DVD burner that works on all three devices as well as any tower in which the DVD drive is giving me problems.
I load movies and books on sd and micro sd cards. (My tablets have micro sd slots).
I rarely need to use a CD or DVD.
I do get Netflix DVDs mailed to me since I joined in 2007. I don't watch the movies on my computer. I watch them on a DVD player attached to a tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.