Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dvd drive on my Medion PC allows me to install a game, but when I try to play it, the drive does not read the dvd, and when I click on the dvd drive shortcut I occasionally get a message telling me the drive has been moved or altered. Checking in My Computer shows that the drive is not present, and I have to perform a system restore to get it back again. A system repair using the Windows XP disc has not fixed the problem; does anyone have any ideas ?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
When the drive disappears, try this:

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fixcd.reg
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
------------------------------ Use text before this line --------------------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Did as suggested, drive now shows in My Computer, but does not read the disc after installation, message states "insert correct disc and restart application".
Is there anyhting else I can try ?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You may have to uninstall and re-install the game.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, but still no joy, unfortunately. I have discovered that the problem only manifestes itself when trying to run DVD roms, CD roms seem to be OK. I can install the DVD rom, but the dvd drive then disapears. If I reboot the PC, the dvd rom drive reappears, but does not recognise the dvd rom. I am really stumped by this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.