Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been burning DVD movies for quite a long time now (either from home movies or backups). However, lately, my "copies" are skipping/freezing. I have a few stand-alone dvd players in the house and the freezing/skipping are occurring in the same places (therefore, I've ruled out the players themselves). My burner driver is up to date. I've been using the same type/brand of media. I've also tried reducing writing speeds but still no luck. Multi-tasking on my comp is not an issue -- but tried shutting everything down before burning and still no go. On occasion I'll get a copy that is fine. Hmmm?? I don't think that it's a software issue. Maybe computer dvd burner need a cleaning? Need the help. TIA.

·
Banned
2,664 Posts
could well be your burner is flagging however if you are copying dvds especially new ones their encryption technology is getting better so you will need to upgrade software

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DoubleHelix said:
It's not legal to make backup copies of commercial DVDs. daz1, you should also read the rules. No one can offer advice or assistance on these issues.
For clarification...this is NOT for commercial copying. I just want my family recordings done flawlessly for obvious reasons. Didn't have a problem before...I was hoping for some help on the issue. Did a lot of searches and didn't find anything...
Thanks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
No matter how many times it worked good before, MOST of the time, freezing and skipping is caused by bad media. Do not buy media that's made in Taiwan, except for Verbatim.
Another thing that can cause it is the sticky, paper labels people use on their discs. Even with the applicator thing, to put them on, you'll never really get it EXACTLY centered, which will cause wobble, which will cause read errors. Hence freezing and skipping. Never use sticky, paper labels. (I used to use paper labels too. I had these problems, and removed the label, and then the disc worked great) Use a Sharpie marker, or get a printer that will print directly on "printable" discs.
You might also want to see if there's an upgrade for the firmware of your drive. You can find out here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html
Good luck!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
daz1 said:
could well be your burner is flagging however if you are copying dvds especially new ones their encryption technology is getting better so you will need to upgrade software
I hope the "quality" of your advice improves in the future, you certainly should be aware of the TSG Rules by now. :rolleyes: :down:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Duker_1 said:
I've been burning DVD movies for quite a long time now (either from home movies or backups). QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it perfectly legal to create a copy of your own legally purchased dvd as long as you use it for your own personal use and not distribute it to anyone?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Apparently not. I tried once and got a message something like "Copyright protected-cannot complete request." You need to buy the movie over and over again so that they have money to research and make programs to ensure you can't copy. Thats why movies and music are so expensive, paying for that research. Funny thing though, firms like Microsoft, that a lot of people are down on, first thing they tell you to do is make a back-up copy in case anything happens to original. People love disney and sony, yet hate MS. Go figure. I love MS and hate sony. If your Internet connection is always on, I would advise against putting any sony disc in your computer. CD or DVD. I learned the hard way with a DVD. Little pop-up box I usually see asking what to do with disc didn't even have a chance. sony owned my computer without paying a cent to me or asking my permission to install program. Nor did it say on box that by purchasing I was giving sony rights to my computer. Until this is changed making it legal, I will not buy anymore movies or music. I'll do without and so will they.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it perfectly legal to create a copy of your own legally purchased dvd as long as you use it for your own personal use and not distribute it to anyone?
Depends on where you live. If you live in Finland, it's legal. If you live in the USA, it's not.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
emoxley said:
Depends on where you live. If you live in Finland, it's legal. If you live in the USA, it's not.
Very true but a lot of DVD's also say not authorized for sale or rent outside the USA or Canada.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Brum said:
Duker_1 said:
I've been burning DVD movies for quite a long time now (either from home movies or backups).
If I'm not wrong it used to be, but then they changed the rules in relation to this.

Plus, many of the commercial DVDs kept putting protection on their discs, despite the law.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Very true but a lot of DVD's also say not authorized for sale or rent outside the USA or Canada.
That's pertaining to that particular dvd, because it's a region 1 dvd, and taking it outside of USA or Canada, is putting it in a different region, than it was meant for. They won't play in another region's player, unless they have a multi region player.

If I'm not wrong it used to be, but then they changed the rules in relation to this.
But, that's just it.........you are wrong. I wish it was legal.........

·
Registered
869 Posts
lexmarks567 said:
he said its not for dvds but for home movies and backups (computers) so what hes doing is leagel unless it is with DVD movies
I think he was refering to "legally purchased DVDs", which would imply that they contain intellectual content of sorts.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I have no idea if this is legal in Canada (the original poster's location), but I do know it's illegal in the US, and against the policies set out in the TSG Rules. We are a US based board, and that's the law we observe. That being the case, I'm going to close this thread. We do not allow discussion of breaking copy protection here, which is against the law in the US.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.