Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new Sony DVD burner to replace an old DVD drive that ate it due to a power surge. It took me about an hour to get both it and my Plextor drive to both be recognized by the bios but I eventually got it to happen by moving them to separate IDE channels and tossing my old zip drive that was on the second channel. OK so everything seams OK after that: the drives read good in the bios, windows finds the new drive, plug and play has all the proper drivers loaded up in no time. Then I pop in a disk and it all goes wrong. The dive doesn't see the disk at all so I try some more disks and none of them work the drive will not read any disks. At first I think this may be another IDE problem but the drive is reading out fine in the device manager. I try updating the firmware (witch works fine so IDE problem is definitely out) but no help. I then run a Sony drive testing program on the drive; it finds the media and writes data to the disk fine but when it goes to read it back it craps out. At this point the drive may as well have a big flashing sign on it that says I'm broken so I take the drive back to get a new one. They are all out of the drive I bought so I pick up a Samsung with the same specs for the same price (since they are probably the same drive made in the same factory). Here is where it gets weird I plug the new drive in, no bios problems. I load up the system and have the exact same problem. Am I the most unfortunate guy in the world and got two broke *** drives in one day or am I missing something?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Place the offending drives on IDE channels without another device on that channel temporarily for a test.

I have seen situations where drives were jumpered correctly; but, they just would not play together. I have also seen situations where drives jumperd correctly were particular about their position on the IDE cable; the master had to be at the end and the slave in the middle. I have also seen situations where cable-select just would not work at all like it should and drives had to jumpered master/slave or they just would not work properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Tested whether the problem was windows related or hardware related by trying to start PC using a bootable linux disk. PC would not boot using this disk in the drive so it ruled out a windows problem. Bought a PCI IDE controller for my PC and drive works fine when connected using that. Still dont know why my Plextor works correctly on my integrated controller but the other drives do not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On a special note: If you are ever having any trouble with a PC and the PC uses a Asus P4P800-E deluxe mother board. The problem is going to be some part of the mother board. So far I have had problems with: the integrated sound, the integrated NIC, the board being way to picky about the memory it can use and now the IDE controller as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.