Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a new Server Case that can handle two power supplies. It only comes with one 420 watt unit, but has the setup space for a second. My question is how do I get the second power supply to turn on? The motherboard only has one set of 2pin (Power on) contacts and one 20pin (Power Supply) connectors. If I just parallel pins 13 & 14 from the 20pin connector connected to the mobo to pin 13 & 14 of the second power supply; will this turn on the second supply? I will only be using the 4pin power output connectors from the second PS for 8 SCSI hard drives. I don't need any of the other contacts of the 20pin PS connector (ie. 3.3v, -5v, -12v).

Thanks very much for any help! :cool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brianF: Thanks very much. One additional question; how will the second power supply shutdown like the first one using the operating system? Is there another pin I need to parallel?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
dick471 said:
If I just parallel pins 13 & 14 from the 20pin connector connected to the mobo to pin 13 & 14 of the second power supply; will this turn on the second supply?
Brian's answer is slightly different than what you asked about...as I quoted here.

If you connect the leads 13/14 in parallel to the Primary PS, then the two PS's will come on/off together.

If you simply short out (or install a shunt switch) for leads 13/14, then the 2nd PS will be individually contolled.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
winbob: THANKS; that's exactly what I was looking for. I do want the second PS to turn on-off just like the one connected to the motherboard. I believe that the newer power supplies do NOT have to have a load on the 20pin voltage supplies since I'm only going to be loading the +5v & +12v on the 4pin power connectors.
Thanks to both of you again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.