Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that hopefully has an obvious answer. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with 2 hard drives. Last night, I had removed my wifes hard drive from her computer, and removed my slave drive. I then put her drive in place of my slave drive and copied a few files over to my primary hard drive. XP never asked me to install drivers for her drive or anything. When I was done, I then removed her drive and replaced it with my slave. Now, my computer is very sluggish, and won't do much of anything. When I click on Control Panel and Add Hardware, I get an error message saying that I can't access it because it is currently installing a device. I assume it is trying to install the other hard drive. If I open the task manager, system shows 99 and CPU Usage is at 100%.

Please help me. I don't want to reformat my computer. If I need to, then I will, but someone must know an answer.

Thank you in advacnce!!!

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
It may be possible that you not only copied a few files from your wifes Hard drive you may also have copied a virus. You can do a free system scan for virus's, worms and trojan horses at the Symantech Website under security scan. It detected a worm I had that my Anti Virus didnt. they also have removal tools for many of these maladies that you can download for free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe a virus would be the problem, although I will check. I just copied a few .jpg files from our camera that she had stored on her drive. Any other ideas??

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would put her hard drive back in and see if it continues to install the HDD. Reboot a couple of times to be sure it's finished the install and then try changing back to your slave drive. All it will cost you is a little time but a lot less than reformatting.

.....Gord

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.