Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a very simple answer but I just want to make sure I know where I stand before I go deleting anything. Currently I've got XP on my 80gb hdd and I've got a secondary hdd which is 120gb but this is already formatted and has 30gb or so of my data.

What I've done is make a secondary primary partition on the 120gb hdd, where I want to install Vista.

So my layout is as follows

HDD1- 76gb - Primary - XP Installed

HDD2- 90gb - Primary - NTFS Formatted, With data already on there
-- 25gb - Primary - To install Vista here

Few questions...

How terrible is it to have two primary partitions on the secondary hdd?
Should I install from the DVD or through Windows (I don't want to upgrade and I want it to be as easy to remove as possible, I'm just trying out an RC version)?
Will it just treat the 25gb as an extra HDD, making it easy to install onto this and completely ignore everything else?

Sorry if it all seems simple, just wanted to check through everything else in case I'm doing something ridiculously wrong. I'll back up obviously but I'd rather not have to go through fixing XP because I've overwritten it or overwriting my data on the secondary hdd.

·
Super Moderator
46,577 Posts
You can install vista on any partition you want. I would do the install booting from the dvd, however that is just me; it will run from within windows. It is going to write some files to the root of your boot drive however.
Next I highly recommend backing up whatever you do not want to loose. When you mess with installing os [especially a brand new one] you always run the risk of something going wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.