Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it is exactly like it sounds, I have two versions of XP that I want to dual-boot on a 160gb hard drive. One version of windows is already installed on the drive and I would like to add the second to it.

My problem is that I have never done a dual-boot setup before so I dont know what im doing, and the partition that windows is installed on currently is taking up the whole drive. How do I change that without reinstalling windows on a different partition setup?

·
Super Moderator
16,199 Posts
First you will have to shrink the present XP partition, you can use this free offer, it is still working :- http://www.computeractive.co.uk/partitionmanager/index
IIRC you get a link during the install, register via that link and a free serial key will be Emailed to you.

Using the above program you can re-size the XP partition, create a new partition in the space made and then install your 2nd XP there.

The actual install should be straight forward, just tell it to install to the new partition, if you didn't format it before you can do it now.
When it's done after restarting you will have a menu to select which XP you want to boot to.
It's easy to edit the Boot.ini file to give each XP a different name if you want to, there may be a Boot.ini file on each partition, the one to edit is the one with 2 entries, you can change the text between the double quotes "text..." to whatever you want but be careful to change nothing else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.