Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wired Linksys router and DSL through SBC Yahoo (modem is Speedstream 4100) and keep losing my internet connection on both desktop computers that I have hooked up. Everything had been working fine for about a year and this problem just started occurring a few weeks ago. It started out that I would lose my internet connection and if I went into 192.168.1.1 and went into the setup page and retyped my password it would reconnect. This has been happening more and more lately and now the "DSL" light on my modem will continously blink or go red. If I turn the modem off and turn it back on, sometimes then the "dsl" light will stop blinking and I can re-enter my password again and reconnect for a little while. I've called both Linksys & SBC's help desks to try and solve this but have had no luck. Linksys had me update the firmware for my router and lower my MTU to 1400. SBC sent a guy out to check the wiring, and said everything looks fine. I had this same problem about a year and a half ago and the SBC guy replaced the modem and this solved the problem up until recently. SBC seems to be reluctant to replace the modem again, but my guess is that the modem is bad. When this "DSL" light is blinking, I can hear noise on my telephone when making a call. I had been using McAfee firewall previously but when the SBC guy was at my place he told me to change to Zone Alarm on my computer, the other computer still has McAfee though. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. When I first got this DSL they had me set the modem to "bridge" mode by going into the web interface of the modem, and now they want me to take it out of "bridge" mode and bypass the router to see if the problem is the router or modem. I can't seem to figure out how to do this though. If I go to the 192.168.0.1 that the modem says to go to change settings I get a page can not be displayed. Is there another way to make this change? And does anyone else have any other ideas or suggestions? Seems like I'm going in circles with the 2 help desks and each one likes to tell me its the other ones fault and I need to call them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
in general, not to your specific modem

on the modem

led labeled link or dsl, often solid green when a connection,
flashing green or other color when no connection

led labeled activity flashes green when transfering data

you need to look at your manual for your specifics.

the modem doesn't need to be plugged into computer
or router to find a dsl signal, have it plugged into only
power and phone jack will show if it finds a dsl signal
or not.

if you hear noise on your phone then your dsl is
going to be bad. if you're hearing noise then the
modem would likely be indicating that it hasn't
found a signal.

these things can be very intermitant. can change
from one day to the next or even one hour to the
next. depending on if the phone lines in your area
are overhead or buried can determine the types
of trouble they may have.

also can vary with time of day or day of week.
dsl can be affected by how busy things are
on the net to your local phone company
switching point or further upline, they can
have hardware or traffic volume problems.

but in your case since you are hearing noise on
your line i would think it's hardware based.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. I was thinking that too. this happens several times an hour when I'm using it. my guess is that its the modem. if it was an issue with the router, that "dsl" light wouldn't be blinking so often, would it?

·
Registered
317 Posts
JCNovak said:
thanks. I was thinking that too. this happens several times an hour when I'm using it. my guess is that its the modem. if it was an issue with the router, that "dsl" light wouldn't be blinking so often, would it?
it might not be an issue to have the modem loose the signal
periodically and refind it rapidly (not good service mind you
just not a catostrophic), it just means slower transfer.

but if it can't find a signal for minutes at a time that
is problematic.

also depends on how new the phone lines are feeding
you and if you're rural or urban.

how old is the phone wiring in your house? you may
have condition issues with that. even if newer then
additions or modifications to it can cause noise.

if the link or dsl led on your modem blinks the trouble
is it's finding a signal either because of itself, line
conditions or phone service.

if you have frequent noise on your phone then it
is line conditions. you can check yourself at
where the phone line connects to your house,
recent practice (lots of years but just a
fraction of phone system history) was to have
a small phone cord connect your house wiring
to the phone companies wiring, this allowed you
to plug a phone into their side to see if the trouble
was in your house or with them. if yo have such
an entry point then when the phone is noisy then
go and plug a phone in there, if you have a dial
tone and noise it's in their wires, if no noise
and you plug your wiring back in and still have
noise in a phone then it could be in your wires.

these intermitant problems are very hard to
figure. it has to happen when you or a
technician are looking at it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an apartment, so I'm not real sure how old the lines are. I've had them come out and check the lines a few times, and they've always said they are fine. The only time I hear the noise on the phone line is during the times when the modem loses its connection and the light is blinking. I'm starting to think its time to switch to the cable company's service instead. it loses connection all the time, I'd say its rare when it doesn't happen several times an hour and has taken as long as a couple of hours to reconnect, and sometimes when it finally does its really slow. I'm not in a rural area, so I don't think thats the problem.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Just a "style" point.

If you'd format the text into smaller paragraphs, it would be a LOT easier to read.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Howdy folks...

Ummm...

Do you have DSL filters installed on all your phones ?

If not...might try them...

If so...may have a bad one...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Do you have DSL filters installed on all your phones ?
Good point Jedi_Master.

I had pretty close to the same problem and the answer was a bad filter. This is just an idea. I am not saying it is not a hardware problem, ie: router or modem.

Still worth looking into.

P.S. My Belkin wireless router and Speedstream 4100 DSL modem are bridged, but I only have to configure my router with an IP address of 192.168.2.1.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Here's how I solve DSL wiring issues.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.ing issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.