Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my DSL connection. It will be working fine and all of a sudden an icon pops up in the lower right hand corner of the screen and says that a network cable is unplugged. The only way I have been able to fix it is to remove and replace the data cable/ethernet card connection. When I do this I either get my connection back or I get another icon saying that I have limited or no connectivity. The only way I can fix this is to do a complete shut down, power down dsl modem and give it a minute then power up again. It will usually work fine after this for a while until it starts all over again. I replaced the data cable (it is the same type) and it worked for about 24 hours and started doing this same thing. I imagine that the ethernet card is bad or the dsl modem is bad, but not sure how to test either. The device manager indicates no probelm with the ehternet card. I am running Windows XP Pro, lynksys 100 ethernet card and a Westell Wirespeed DSL modem (provided by phone company). Any ideas on how to narrow it down to one or the other. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The only real way to test that is if you had either another router (modem) or another network card. Sometimes routers (because they run software) crash, and this can cause the network to disable. It would be a good idea to make sure that the firmware (the software that runs in the router) is up to date. Try this site:

https://www.westell.com/pages/verizon_down_pc.jsp

I THINK it's your one, but I'm not sure. Make sure, before you do anything, that you check this is your router make and model. Manurfacturers usually bring out firmware updates to fix problems and bugs like you're having. Let me know how you get on :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.