Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon & AMD XP, a real beast!

774 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  whoam 
#1 ·
Okay, last night I put together the following system.

Soyo SY-K7VDragon+ KT266A Mobo
Athlon XP 1500+
128MB RAM - Samsung (used)
256MB RAM - Crucial (new)
IBM Deskstar 60GXP: 40GB ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Digital 5.1
eVGA e-GeForce2 Ti 64MB DDR 5ns Video Card w/TV Out
Intel Ultra 100 NIC
300 Watt Antec power supply/case
NEC ZIP 100
Thermaltake A1135 Dragon ORB 3 Copper Base CPU Cooler

I have the RAID BIOS pinned to off, but turned on in the BIOS/CMOS so I can use one slot for the zip over standard IDE. The computer is fine with the zip recognition.

My problem is random system freezes with occasional blue screens after more than ~30 of operation. I started off with XP Pro, but had problems before I finished with all the patches. I’m also confused as I’ve heard that XP doesn’t need the VIA 4-1 patch, so I don’t know what parts of mobo patches to use.

I then tried W2K, and downloaded ALL the updates. It took 3 tried to get SP2 in place as it froze during down load, yet it loaded over 3GB to HD over LAN with no problem. It will not install the W2K Intel NIC patch.

Freezes & big blue screens with both O/S’s

There is one BIOS update avail but it doesn't list these symptoms in the "fixed" column. I'm a little leery of BIOS flashing. I bought "rounded" ATA100 cables, and I'm beginning to wonder about the one to the HD. I need to check under the Mobo to see if any standoffs are extra/grounding.

I think I’m going to go back, check the stand offs, switch the IDE cables between the HD and CDROM’s, then load XP with all the patches. So, does XP need any patch from the mobo CDROM????

Thanks for your help guys!!!
:D

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.