Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my downloads. Whenever I try to download anything it downloads but then disappears. This can be a file I'm trying to download from a website, a picture I'm trying to save from a webpage onto my desktop, or a word doc/excel doc I'm trying to save from an email. I have read similar posts about this and followed their advice but with no luck. Basically the download bar fills up, the download completes and is nowhere to be found. I have tried the following;

- Checked the download folder, download not there
- Checked the recycle bin in case files were being thrown in there, download not there
- Changed the download destination / location to various locations such as other folders and the desktop but the download is not there
- Searched all my folders and files to see if the download was being sent somewhere that I had not specified.
- Tried to press the 'open download' button in the download box to see if it could open the downloaded file, but nothing happens.
- Tried to download using Firefox and Internet Explorer
- Run a full virus check to make sure I have no viruses.
- Completely uninstalled McAfee from my system and ensured no elements were still in the registry.
- Completely uninstalled AVG from my system and ensured no elements were still in the registry.
- Turned off the firewall.

I don't know what else to do. Any help is much appreciated. I have had the laptop for about a month and hardly used it. I have regularly been running virus checks. It worked fine for a couple of weeks and then this started happening. Can anyone please help?

Many thanks,
Fiona

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Your tool, for downloading files, defaults to some directory ... somewhere. Either you check for the settings of the tool you are using, as to where they are going, or simply, and very "in your face," the window that opens, will show the path, the folder, the directory, the path of where what your download is going to.

If you see a selection... something like "Close this window when the download completes" then shut it OFF. That way you will see an option of opening the download folder once the download completes. At that time you will have the option to see you defaulted download folder, and probably see all the other files and pictures you may have downloaded and "lost."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

my system is Vista.

I have both Firefox 5.0 and Internet Explorer and I cannot download using either browser.

When choosing to download I can select the destination folder, or directory so I can see where the download is going yet it is not there. After the download is complete I cannot open the download, there is do link to the destination folder and it does not specific where it has gone. I open the downloadload manager and the 'open containing folder' button is greyed out, it is not an option.

Thanks,

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
Firefox 3 may block downloads of all executable files if the Windows Internet security option, "Launching applications and unsafe files" is set to "Disable". This setting is misleading, since downloading is also blocked. This security option is available on Windows Vista and Windows XP systems with Internet Explorer 7 installed. To change the setting, open Internet Options (via Control Panel or from Internet Explorer -> Tools) and click the Security tab. With the Internet zone icon highlighted, click the Custom level... button. A list of security settings for the Internet zone will appear. Find the "Launching applications and unsafe files" setting (under Miscellaneous) and select "Prompt (recommended)"
If no luck, try disabling UAC.

If still no joy,

Please click here to download and install the HijackThis installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.