Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all, I have just recently tried to download some new stuff for my computer (Win RAR) being one of them from Cnet and Joomle from their site. Now it says it is downloading and when the timer runs out it verify's it and asks me if I want to run the program. I use yes and then nothing happens...it won't go on to install. I know I have room left, so what is going on?

I use a custom built computer and it has been working fine for months:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP45-DQ6
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 3290MB used, 13307MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

And I use a Nvidia Card that is GeForce 9800 GX2.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Is this a new problem? What are you using to download and what browser? Are the downloads actually there in the location they were supposed to go to?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope I cannot find the downloads at all, never had this before so it is very strange. I use IE to download though. But I also use Firefox in some cases.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Go to Internet Options > Advanced and check the box about being notified when downloads complete. That way, the box will stay open and there will be a button to open the folder containing the downloads.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Internet Options > Advanced > Under "Browsing": "Notify When Downloads Complete".

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
If you can't find the files, it doesn't sound like you are downloading
them? When you click SAVE, you have to indicate what folder
you want your file to be downloaded to. It will NEVER ask if you
want to run the program IF you are downloading it.

It sounds like you clicked OPEN.

Nope I cannot find the downloads at all, never had this before so it is very strange. I use IE to download though. But I also use Firefox in some cases.
Now it says it is downloading and when the timer runs out it verify's it and asks me if I want to run the program.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the box already has an X in it...I click open to run it...no installation...I click save and it isn't in the folder i supposedly saved it to....what is going on?:/

·
Registered
152 Posts
Elderon,

I am assuming you are having this issue in Firefox as well - but just in case you are not. You may want to verify where Firefox saves files - Tools / Options / on the Main tab / button - check location of "Save Files To".
Make sure checkmark is in the "Show the downloads window when downloading a file".
If you have not already done this - try downloading something and see if it runs.

Back to Internet Explorer - On the "Internet Options" General Tab, next to "Delete Temporary Internet Files..." Click the "Settings" button
Where it says Disk Space to Use, make sure it is not zero "0".
If it is see if you can crank it up to between 50 - 250 (MB).
Click OK, and see if the setting holds.

Chronk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On IE the settings are fixed at 50 I just checked but I tried installing Windows Messenger again and gets past the 'Run' stage and then says it downloads the file, then the download message dissapears and nothing happens, what is this?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Elderon,

I want to make sure of what is happening if possible.
When you download an application / program such as winrar, or Windows Messenger,
Are you first choosing to "Save" the file
OR - Are you choosing to "Run" the file - instead of saving it?

Once you choose to save the file - you should be able to direct it to where you want to save it from Internet Explorer - unless you are using some type of download manager.

So when you choose to save it to Desktop, or Downloads etc. are you finding it there?
Is that when you right click - and choose open...? ( Or generally running it ).

Are you having this problem in FireFox as well?

Chronk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I 'Save' the file it isn't in the folder I allocated the save. If I 'Run' the program then it gets to the bit where it shows how fast it is downloading and how much % is done, then it doesn't get to launching the install, that is in IE.

In Firefox I have downloaded the files, then when u go to the files it says the download was unsuccessful?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Elderon,

I am at the end of what I could recommend on your "Download & Install Problem?"
I am suspecting some type of bug / malware etc.
I may not should mention that as I am at the end of my support boundaries for this forum.

A couple of simple things to try - which could not hurt - if you have not done so, is clear browser cache, temp Internet files.

Check disk drive free space.
My computer - right click C: drive (it that is your main hard drive with Windows install on it ) choose properties, check free / used space.

Hope someone is able to help you further with this issue.

Chronk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Elderon,

Sorry to hear we did not get you going with downloads & Install problem.
I am hoping someone will jump in here and offer more help.

I found the information below in the Rules area - hope it helps!

If, after posting, you feel it should be in another forum, use the "Report Thread" button at the bottom of the post and we'll move it.

If you have not been contacted in 24hours - you can Bump the post.
I have seen others enter a reply of "Bump",
Or a reply informing Techguy forum members -
I am bumping this as I did not get a response.

Best of Luck,

Chronk

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Have you been using registry cleaners, CCleaner?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Nope I use Tuneup Utilities 2009 but that is about it. I can't download CCcleaner anyway though so I am kinda stuck :/
I was wondering if they could be the problem, not the solution. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.