Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!! Allright, here goes!

Recently, I opened my Temporary Internet Files and deleted everything in the file. A day or so after, when trying to download something from the internet, I realized that for some reason the download was not connecting. The pop-up window for the download opens, and the "papers" start to float from one side to the other- as per usual, but after about 3 minutes of nothing else happening, an error window pops up saying that "Internet Explorer cannot download (file) from (site). Internet Explorer cannot open this site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later." I tried later and got the same message. I then tried numerous other web sites and downloads and got the same results. I can access the site, but not the download, and I can still download from "P2P" type servers (such as Napster used to be). I have no idea if what I deleted from the Temp file has anything to do with this, or how to fix it. Any ideas?? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Try repairing IE Explorer. Go to control panel, add/remove programs and highlight IE Explorer. Click remove. After you click remove you will get a menu asking you what you want to do, remove IE Explorer, repair it, click repair it. Reboot and try again and this should fix your problem.

IF you had that much in your temp folder I would also clean the hard drive. Instructions can be found at the following site and will be marked with 3 red X's behind them.

http://rselby98.go2click.com/Windows.html

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hi ksham,You might also want to check for spyware,because you said you have p2p file sharing program.Alot of them are full of spyware,eg,Kazza,bearshare,Imesh,etc.Once you do what Rick suggest and get Ie repaired and clean off the hard drive,and can download again,go here and download ad-aware to check for spyware.

www.lavasoftusa.com

BTW,hows everything in Smyrna....Lewes here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But, I *think* I have figured out a way to get around it, at least. Rick, I tried the repair thing, which did what it was supposed to do- and yet still didn't fix the problem! lol... I had already emptied the cache and the hard drive. I used my FTP Explorer and went to Netscape.com and downloaded Netscape Navigator. Well, I can download just fine with it, so its definately a problem with IE. I plan on uninstalling/reinstalling IE now that I can download- and keep your fingers crossed that it works!!

Beach51, I do use Imesh, so I will go check out the spyware thing. Thanks for the tip!! Lewes, eh?? Not too far at all!! Bet the beach is beautiful right about now... Its my favorite season there.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hi ksham,If you have Imesh,you have alot of spyware on your computer.And some of the worse ones.Might be a good idea to post what you have running at start-up and running in the background.Go to Start>Run>type in msinfo32>when that window opens,click on software enviroment,then startup programs,click edit,copy and paste the results back here.You probably have some that Ad-aware will not remove,and this will show us which ones you have.

Yeah,the beach is great this time of year,you have the whole beach to yourself almost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only spyware I recognize is Cydoor....

EPSON Background Monitor
Encoder Agent
Calendar 2000
Banshee Screamer Alarm
iMesh Auto Update
PowerReg Scheduler
TurboNote
Stimon
Cydoor
AIM
MSMSGS
Washer
ScanRegistry
SystemTray
EnsoniqMixer
CC2KUI
CriticalUpdate
ConMgr.exe
UpdateMgr.exe
AVG_CC
LoadPowerProfile
Eac_Download
NInit
ETraffic
hppwrsav
InCD
winmodem
Avgserv9.exe
LoadPowerProfile

·
Registered
57,788 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I can't believe no one suggests that he stop all of the programs he can from starting that are not needed. It is a wonder the computer has any resources.

Half of the startup programs do not need to run and in return will help the situtation and eliminate what is causing the problem.

Insturctions can be found at my site.

http://rselby98.go2click.com/Windows.html#6

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.