Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I downgraded from Vista home premium 64 bit to Vista Ultimate 32 bit, because of software compatibility issues that wouldn't work with 64. I did an entire clean install of 32 and it was successful. However now my wireless & ethernet device drivers are missing, so I can't connect to the internet. Further when I go to the "Device Manager" it lists these non functional hardware under "Other" and has absolutely no information about them under properties. So I don't even know what brand, model, etc the devices are and have no way of knowing what drivers I even need to install. This also happened to my video controller, so the screen resolution only goes up to 1024 and also has no info on which drivers i need.

Any idea how I can fix this?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Hi;Generally speaking,in these driver situations encountered either on a re-install or operating system change,our recommendation is to go to your pc maker's web site and for your specific model,download the needed drivers that will be compatible with your new operating system.
You can also perhaps get more complete info on installed devices by booting up in safe mode and then look again at device manager.
Also here is a link to a pretty nifty app that will tell you a lot about what's on your pc.Both hardware and software

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed that app, but it can't recognize anything for the network adapters. It's like all the information pertaining to them have been completely wiped clean. I looked up my laptop drivers on Dell's website and they list about a dozen. How do I know which to install without having a shred of info on my network hardware?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried safe mode and no difference.

I have the original Dell drivers disc and tried installing every network driver it recommended, and none worked. They say they are compatible with 32 bit vista, but no luck.

I updated both chipset drivers and my list of unknown devices now reads...

Fingerprint sensor
Network controller
Video controller

I got the wired ethernet connection to work by installing a Broadcom NetLink adapter driver.

But when I try to install the wireless driver it fails. I have two virtually identical laptops. Both Dell Studio 1737. On my functional laptop is lists the wireless device as Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card. When I try to install that driver off the Dell driver CD on the non-functional laptop it says there is no compatible hardware and it fails to install.

The Dell driver program has I have these installed...

Intel Wifi Link 5150
Intel Wifi Link 5300

The other options are aren't installed are...

Broadcom BCM5784M LAN
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard
Intel WiMAX Link 5150
Dell Wireless 1397, 1510 Half Mini Card

I've tried to install them off, the 1397 fails and rest install, but none work. Any ideas?

As for the video device not working, my good laptop lists: "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family". The non-functional lists "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Post in progress.Hang in
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...bIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

Ok the above page references some intel drivers for those specific adapters are available.
We really need to know the adapter specifics,ie,intel/dell.etc.
Which means finding the wireless adapter entries.
How about safe mode ?
Also you could go back to the dell site and input your service tag #.We might get some more specific descriptions.
And I have just looked at all of them and any one of them could be installed on your studio 1737.
What chipset drivers did you install ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.