Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a computer here, running XP pro, that used to be part of a windows domain network. A few hours ago I tried to move it over to my home network but upon reseting the computer for the settings to take effect I can now no longer login because the user name and password that I had for the computer belonged to the domain. Which is now gone..

How can I either get around the password issue, or put it back on the domain?

Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Hi Jay-qu,

Welcome to TSG ! :)

Unfortunately, there's no way to get your computer back to the domain without knowing the login and password of the network administrator or the domain administrator.
Also, the computer must be connected to the network before reinserting it in its original domain.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Jay-qu said:
for real.. so its a write off? I was pretty sure the username that I was using was an admin.. there was only 2 users on the domain to start with..
If you could remove your computer from its domain, it would only have been done by a user account with administrator rights defined on the computer itself.
Those rights are completely different of the network administrator rights.

To summarize :

When you're administrator of your computer, you're allowed to leave the domain on which it is connected. The network administrator doesn't prevent you to leave his network.

When you want it back to the domain, then you need the permission of the network administrator even if you're administrator of your computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so the network administrator should have its own username and password for the domain? will this still be recognised by the computer if i can find it?

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Yes, if you have the login and password of the network administrator himself or of another user of the domain with the same rights than the adminsitrator's, then you will be able to bring your computer back to the domain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.