Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just setup an Active Directory, and I was wandering if I could let my server host all the network applications (such as MSN), and the PC's just use a "\\SERVER-1\%application_name%" link to run it. Is this possible? The server is a Windows Server 2008 and the Client PC's are running different OS's ranging from XP to 7. Would I need to install a Windows Role and/or Feature to make this work?

· Registered
349 Posts
So you want to centralize all your applications to the server and have the clients run instances of the programs, I know it can be done mainly how schools do it, but they all do it with the novell client dont know if it can be done with server 2008, you can always look into novell as a possible solution.

Know that doesnt really answer the question but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

I know theres a specific name for what you want to acomplish but it has slipped my mind, or I would search google and post the results.

· Banned
24,754 Posts
Programs can't be shared from one computer to another by simply sharing a folder. You'd have to use something like Citrix to centralize the hosting of programs.

I have no idea where computerguy1990 is headed with a recommendation for Novell. I don't know how I'd describe Novell other than to say it's outdated. I don't know of any modern solution related to Novell that would accomplish what you're looking for.

· Registered
349 Posts
Yes novell is outdated, and I probably shot myself in the foot when I jumped the gun with novell, I know it can be set up to do what you want but DoubleHelix is right it is outdated and there is much better software to centralize the distribution of applications as instances to clients.

· Retired Trusted Advisor
19,935 Posts
I don't know how I'd describe Novell other than to say it's outdated. I don't know of any modern solution related to Novell that would accomplish what you're looking for.
I wouldn't call Netware outdated. Many companies still use it and may school districts still use it. It evolves as much as Windows does. I can't tell you how painful it was for our company when we moved off of Netware to Active Directory. There are lots of things that Netware does a whole lot better than Windows servers.

But I will agree with you that as far as an application server, Netware would not be the solution for this. Citrix would be better suited for this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.