Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced this problem with three different PCs with WIN XP installed. The folder option has somehow got missing. I know how to bring it back by editting Group Policy and then Registry. It allowed me to do so three four times on different occasions but now again when 'folder options' got missing and I tried to bring it back by accessing gpedit.msc or regedit, the system restarts as soon as I type either gpedit.msc or regedit from Start>Run. Surprisingly enough I can access other documents and media files located on the computer from Start>Run but not gpedit.msc or regedit. Please solve the puzzle.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
This may be a stupid question but do you have auto restart disabled?

System Properties -> Advanced tab -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> System Failure section -> uncheck Automatically restart.

This will stop your computer from rebooting when a BSOD occurs and will allow you to glean some information from the Stop Error screen.

There also a "push button" fix for missing folder options here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Line 129

I'm not trying to insult your knowledge of the use of gpedit.msc and regedit, but this may get your folder options back until you can discover why your system restarts typing these in run. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! kniht. Thanks for adding to my knowledge. But unfortunately the solution you gave did not work. I unchecked the automatic restart but still the problem persisted. I felt that it might be the work of some virus because my system was getting slower and slower day by day. So, I thought it better to reinstall the windows and I did it. Anyway I learnt something knew. But still that problem remains a puzzle. Is there no other way out?

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
First, do
Start > Run > REGEDIT.exe (include the extension)

If regedit runs, your PC is infected for sure.

Regardless, download, install and run HiJackThis

Copy/paste the created LOG file back here in a reply post for review.

·
Gone but never forgotten
6,781 Posts
"WP": Please explain why this, "If regedit runs, your PC is infected for sure." is true. I made a trial run, and Regedit appeared. That surprises me, since I didn't expect I would find I was infected by a virus. My computer is not slowing down.
Thanks, {redoak}

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
powermind19

Can you open regedit by clicking directly on the .exe in C:\Windows?

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
redoak said:
"WP": Please explain why this, "If regedit runs, your PC is infected for sure." is true. I made a trial run, and Regedit appeared. That surprises me, since I didn't expect I would find I was infected by a virus. My computer is not slowing down.
Thanks, {redoak}
When you enter just {program name} in RUN, the first thing windows looks for is {program name}.com, then {program name}.Exe.

So, if you enter REGEDIT and it fails but REGEDIT.exe works, it seems to indicate that there is a REGEDIT.com file present which is a virus. Most likely one of these

So, if you do a search you should find Regedit.com, ping.com plus the others noted.

As for a slowdown, an infected PC does not necessarily slowdown. Especially if it is a "well written" piece of code.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply. DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

A security expert should take a look at your log - please be patient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.