Tech Support Guy banner

Does it really matter if any charging brick and wire is used?

1026 Views 24 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  MPR
To charge one's Samsung phone (and/or to connect to a PC), does it really matter if one uses:

1) Any charging brick (even if not from Samsung) as long as it supports the same watt number as the phone itself?
2) Any USB C cable.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
What model phone
1) Any charging brick (even if not from Samsung) as long as it supports the same watt number as the phone itself?
Should be fine - does not have to be Samsung
2) Any USB C cable.
Try - some phones want the cable they came with
Some work with any cable some won't
What model phone
S21 FE
Should be fine - does not have to be Samsung
Is there a way to know for sure?
Try - some phones want the cable they came with
Some work with any cable some won't
But even if it works, will it be ruining the phone over the long term?

Thank you.
ut even if it works, will it be ruining the phone over the long term?
No if it works no harm no matter what cable
Is there a way to know for sure?
No
It is just power the phone does not care where power comes from
Since you have doubts let's ask others for opinion
@Digerati @MPR
You do not have to contact them they will get an alert about this
Samsung says that using any but their charger will void their warranty. However, they don't include chargers with their new devices, which sends new purchasers scrambling to find a charger if they don't already have one.

Are OEM charging devices better than after-market ones? For the super-cheap knock-offs this would be yes. You get what you pay for. BigClive, an electrical engineer, has an interesting channel on YouTube where he dissembles and tests a lot of cheap electronic devices. Many of them have older, obsolete technology at best and are simply fakes and dangerous at worse.

That said, the OEMs generally charge too much for their devices and there are just as good or even better alternatives are available. You just have to do your research. The main problem you are going to have is with fast charging. This requires a charging device that can communicate with the Samsung phone and send it as much charging current as it can handle but not too much. This is where a knock-off can literally melt your device. I've seen knock-off shop battery chargers and batteries actually catch on fire.

There are a slew of $10 knock-off fast chargers out there. Some may last for a month or two. Others may melt the first time they are plugged in. Amazon will refund your purchase if your charger over-currents and destroys your Samsung phone but it's not going to replace your phone. At best, your "fast" charge may be only slightly faster than just plugging your device into your computer's USB port to charge.

Since most of the reviewed decent-quality alternatives for fast charging are around $25 anyway, I'd just go with the OEM. That said, if you just want standard-speed charging then a $10 charger will probably work.

I'd avoid the "two for ten dollar" fast chargers that you see on Amazon. These may have thousands of sales and nearly all five-star reviews but it's all a scam. These marketers will purchase factory-reject lots and then hire social media review manipulation companies to buy thousands their own products back from Amazon and leave fake reviews as verified purchasers. One "two-for-ten-buck" fast charger set I see on Amazon has over 15,000 "5-star reviews." However, if you look for 4 or fewer-star reviews, which people generally leave if they have actual likes and constructive criticism after using the product, it has very few and most say that the devices stopped working after a short time.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Samsung says...
Thank you.
What about the USB C cables, will any one purchased on Amazon be just as good as the one that came with the phone?
Thank you.
What about the USB C cables, will any one purchased on Amazon be just as good as the one that came with the phone?
USB cable choice is important, both for the speed that data can be transferred and the amount of power that can be transferred while charging. Fortunately, even the best USB cables are pretty reasonable in price. Also, cable plug and port type has to be considered. Samsung has used USB-C ports at the phone end since 2017 but the plug needed at the charger end will be determined by what type of USB port the charger has. All phones can be charged at the standard rate but there are different fast charging types.
Font Electronic component Circuit component Audio equipment Rectangle

See less See more
Samsung has used USB-C ports at the phone end since 2017 but the plug needed at the charger end will be determined by what type of USB port the charger has.
So you're saying there are different USB-C wires? They're not all the same?
So you're saying there are different USB-C wires? They're not all the same?
USB-C is just the plug end. The wires themselves come in different gauges and degrees of shielding. Think of them as extension cords. Your household extension cord with its 18-gauge braided wires is OK to run a table lamp but it would get mighty hot if you tried to run a welder off if it. The same goes for USB cables.

Here is what you might get when you buy a $2 knock-off USB cable. Note the complete lack of shielding and no twisted pair wires, Twisted pairs are important for data transfer because the twist cancels out a lot of the line noise by reversing the surrounding electromagnetic field at each twist, which helps to prevent noise from propagating down the line. Phone lines use twisted pairs. These aren't actually real USB cables but they sort of work and the consumer never looks inside them.
Electric blue Font Cable Wire Brush

This is a real USB cable of the general type oftentimes found bundled with electronic devices. These are adequate for general use and for fast charging if of a heavier gauge.
Font Slope Parallel Rectangle Automotive exterior

The best cables, however, are of a better build quality with heavier gauge wires and a braided jacket.
Office supplies Writing implement Pen Font Line

USB 1.1:
  • Transfer speeds: 12Mbps
  • Max power output: 2.5V, 500mA
  • Direction: Host to peripheral
USB 2.0:
  • Transfer speeds: 480Mbps
  • Max power output: 2.5V, 1.8A
USB 3.0:
  • Transfer speeds: 5Gbps
  • Max power output: 2.5V, 1.8A
USB 3.1:
  • Transfer speeds: 10Gbps
  • Max power output: 2.5V, 5A
  • Direction: Bidirectional
USB 3.2:
  • Transfer speeds: 20Gbps
  • Max power output: 20V, 5A
USB 4:
  • Transfer speeds: 40Gbps
  • Max power output: 48V, 5A
Thunderbolt 3:
  • Max power output: 100W
  • Other features: Up to 5K video output, daisy-chaining.
Thunderbolt 4:
  • Max power output: 100W
  • Other features: Up to 8K video output, daisy-chaining.
See less See more
With this knowledge of USB you now can see why this cable is as expensive as it it.

$45 Anker Thunderbolt 4 Cable 2.3 ft, Supports 8K Display / 40Gbps Data Transfer / 100W Charging USB C to USB C Cable, for Type-C MacBooks, iPad Pro, Hub, Docking, and More (Intel Thunderbolt Certified).

This is the type of cable that you would use to run an external high-resolution, wide-screen monitor off your MacBook with.

This USB cable would be overkill for most PC users though. Sort of like buying a Ford 350 Super Duty dually diesel truck to just go grocery shopping with.

Vroom Vroom!
Line Font Electronic device Technology Electronics accessory

Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Car
See less See more
Thank you.

Where would you suggest I get a Samsung (or a just as good alternative) USB-C wire if I want something a bit shorter than the standard ones they provide?
Thank you.

Where would you suggest I get a Samsung (or a just as good alternative) USB-C wire if I want something a bit shorter than the standard ones they provide?
These are a foot long.

Edit: I removed those because they were't real fast-charging cables. See below.
These support USB 3.2 so can be used for an external drive or for fast data transfers. They are also 3.1 amp, which means they are capable of fast charging with the Samsung charger.

Samsung adaptive charger.
  • Input Voltage 100-240 V.
  • Output Voltage (Max, Normal Charge) 5 V.
  • Output Voltage (Max, Fast Charge) PDO : 9V / PPS : 3.3-5.9V or 3.3-11.0V.
  • Output Current (Max, Normal Charge) 3 A.
  • Output Current (Max, Fast Charge) PDO : 2.77A(9V) / PPS : 3.0A(3.3-5.9V) or 2.25A(3.3-11.0V)

These are just an example. Like I mentioned above, there are all sorts of USB cables for all sorts of purposes and you have to know exactly what you need in order to look for the right one.
See less See more
...you have to know exactly what you need in order to look for the right one.
I'm looking for one to charge a Samsung phone, but the one that came with it is very long and I want something shorter, but just as safe. Would you know where a shorter wire like that can be found (that fits all the criterias)?
Thank you.
My Samsung S21 came with a USB cable that is 1 meter (39-inches) long. Did your phone come with a longer one?
I'm probably making this too complicated. A Samsung charging cable is only $7.

I like the look of this one.

What would I buy? Well, this one looks to be built like a tank. Check out the power transfer wire!

Writing implement Office supplies Font Stationery Magenta
See less See more
I bought a 5 foot braided charging cable at Five Below for $5.25. (They've raised prices). It works fine for one Samsung tablet and my newest Samsung phone which have a USB-C charging port.
I have a different 5 foot cable, also purchased at Five Below for $5 that I use on the older Samsung tablet and older Samsung phone. They use a micro USB charging port.

I use the Samsung charging block that is 2A. I have four Samsung charging blocks. The higher the amps, the faster the device will recharge. (The old phone came with a 1.55A block which I rarely use.)
My Samsung S21 came with a USB cable that is 1 meter (39-inches) long. Did your phone come with a longer one?
I didn't measure, but whatever it's the standard one that Samsung ships with all of their phones these days. Probably the same as yours.
@MPR
How about if I take the old official Samsung charger and micro USB cable that I already have from an old phone and use it with a new phone (via an adapter that's either USB-C to Micro USB, or USB-A to USB-C), I know it will take longer to charge, but is it just as safe (since the old cable/charger came from Samsung)?
@MPR
How about if I take the old official Samsung charger and micro USB cable that I already have from an old phone and use it with a new phone (via an adapter that's either USB-C to Micro USB, or USB-A to USB-C), I know it will take longer to charge, but is it just as safe (since the old cable/charger came from Samsung)?
I've primarily been concerned here with fast charging and fast data transfer. However, if you are willing to let your phone charge overnight then you can use just about any cheap knock-off wall charger and power cable as long as it terminates in a plug that will fit. The standard charging power is low enough that nothing much is going to go wrong.

You can also get a "wireless" charger if your phone is capable of this. I don't much see the point in this but some people think that plugging in a cord is too much of a hassle.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts