Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I have to reformat my hard drive again but before doing so I
have two questions:

1) Will the drivers still be on the hard drive after formatting.

2) I have two partitions
a) Disk O,partition 1,System Reserved
b) Disk O,partition 2,Windows 7

Do I have to format both partitions

Thank you

AntonABC

·
Premium Member
52,999 Posts
Formatting removes everything off the hard drive, so yes drivers too.

Instead of formatting, just delete both of the partitions and let the Windows installation create them both for you automatically.

·
Trusted Advisor
128,933 Posts
To be clear, deleting the two partitions will also remove all drivers, so you may want to download them to a flash drive prior to this process. I'd get the latest from the Internet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be clear, deleting the two partitions will also remove all drivers, so you may want to download them to a flash drive prior to this process. I'd get the latest from the Internet.
Thank you
I do not have a flash drive,only an external hard drive.Can I save the downloaded drivers on it
And can you suggest what driver(s) to choose as there are so may different options on the Internet.
Thanks again
AntonABC

·
Trusted Advisor
128,933 Posts
Yes, an external drive should be fine. Just be sure it is not connected when you are rebuilding your system, just so that there is no chance of accidentally deleting anything on it.
The drivers will depend on your system. If it is a store-bought (i.e. Dell, HP, etc.), go to the manufacturer's web site and look up your model, Then find your operating system (Win7 32 or 64-bit). Download the drivers for chipset, audio, LAN (NIC or wireless) and video especially. If you see any others that are pertinent to your system, you can get those as well.
If you (or someone else) built the system, you'll need to visit the manufacturer of each component (motherboard, video card, network card, anything else that is not on the motherboard) and download the same drivers.
Once you've got the system rebuilt, you can attach the external drive and install the drivers, starting with the chipset drivers, video, audio, network, possibly having to reboot between. Once they are all installed, you'll start the Windows Update dance, run Update, reboot, run Update, reboot, etc. until you don't see any more. Some updates are contingent upon the installation of others, that's why you need to repeat the process (lather, rinse, repeat), and some may fail the first time around because it has not been rebooted after another update installed. Lots of fun ... ;-)

·
Trusted Advisor
10,381 Posts
In my experience it takes about 8-12 hours to fully bring a windows 7 machine back to life from a fresh install.

·
Premium Member
52,999 Posts
Then you are doing it wrong. XP maybe, but I can have Windows 7 reinstalled in about an hour. Patches/updates are another story
If it's taking you an hour to install Windows 7 you're doing something wrong. Should take maybe 20 minutes from a DVD or about half that from a USB stick. Updating it is indeed another story, we update out new installs from a WSUS server and even with that it takes hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.