Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
The cooling fan is thermostatically controlled and is designed to run until the collant has cooled sufficiently.

So either the car is running too hot (but the fan should eventually stop in that case), or the thermostat has failed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its 20 degrees here i know im on the wrong board but i thank u 4 your help it the fans been running for 2 hours now and my batterys dead i have a bmw so any work will cost a fortune do u know any quick fixes ex. pull fuse unclip connection anything that wont blow comp system thx again 4 feedback ;)

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
The way most electric fan type cooling systems are designed / wired is that a temp sensor sends a message to a relay that in turn actually turns on the fan. A cooling fan is a relatively high draw item and will not be wired directly to the temp sensor. Either the temp sensor is grounded or [much more likely] the relay is stuck closed. As a test you can disconnect the temp sensor. If it still runs the fan, the relay is stuck closed. Replace the relay and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Any car parts place should have a service book, Clymer's or Chilton, that has wiring diagrams and even gives the wire colors and part location. This should be simple to fix. I had a Cadillac that had the heater fan stuck on due to a bad solid state controller - mounted inside the heater air plenum!

·
Registered
170 Posts
fongii said:
for now i just pulled the fuse out so my battery wont go dead
thanks
That's fine for tonight.
Don't mean to sound as if you don't realize this but I'd put it with my keys so I wouldn't forget it in the morning. Talk about potentially expensive repairs.OMG

Oh! And please feel free to post any question about autos here. Some of us don't know a damn thing about computers and would love an opportunity to help.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
My brother said, volkwagon's have a switch for that on the rad. It double's as a plug. Your's will be stuck in the on possission. If the BMW is the same that is were to look. If not then you have an electrical problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.