Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently ordered the Verizon DSL and i have to pcs each with an ethernet card. When I called verizon to order it they gave me information on what i need to make it possible for both computers to use DSL at the same time. I was told by verizon that I would need a Cable Router. I would like to know if i can use a hub to do what the Router can do. If so What would i need and how do I set it up to do so. I have one computer downstairs and one computer upstairs. I dont know much about this kind of thing so any information about this ? will be usefu.:confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use a hub to share my cable internet connection. If you have XP, all you have to do is right click on your network card and tick "share connection" an voila.

If you have windows 98, you need to setup the internet connection sharing. If you search for "internet connection sharing" in windows it will give you walkthrough.

You may need 2 network cards in your machine tho.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im using WIN ME how do i do the network stuff on win me. Also I need to know what hub i should get to do this internet sharing thing and can it be done if one computer uses MSN internet service and the other uses AOL. I also need to know for sure if i will need to have 2 network cards or not. I need a straight answer of yes or no cause i dont want to buy the hub and then find out i need two network cards for my comp. I would appreciate any replies.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I didnt ask this earlier but i have two computers, one downstairs and one upstairs. What I want to do was hook both computers up to the Verizon DSL that I will be getting soon. If i get a router how many ports should it have for the two computers i'll be using?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well how it works is that you have the DSL line come into your home, it goes into network card (A), then you have a network cable coming from network card (B) which runs from your machine to the hub. The machine downstairs then connects to the hub using network card (C).

Now, if you searched help on windows it tells you how to setup internet connection sharing.

Regarding AOL and MSN, why would you want to use AOL with DSL? Dont you have to dial up to use AOL? Why anyone would want to use AOL is also puzzling me. If im wrong correct me but i thought when you have DSL your just 'on' the net. no connecting to ISPs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I want to use AOL is becuase there is something about AOL that not everyone knows about. It's the only reason i want to use aol. With Verizon DSL and AOL i can get those things alot faster.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know that about AOL but one computer will be signing on withMSN and the other will be using AOL. If you have two computers one downstairs and one upstairs how many ports should the router have?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hosting AOL thru another server is NOWHERE near the same as logging in to AOL directly! And also don't forget you will be splitting your broadband speed!

Danny

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I am thoroughly lost. I read through your posts a couple of times but still don't get it.
You are getting Verizon DSL for Internet access. Where does AOL and MSN fall into this. You don't still want to use them as a service provider to connect to the Internet, do you? Or are you referring to some services they may offer (like instant message and the like) that you can access through any ISP?
If you are referring to actually still using the AOL and MSN dial-up services, I just don't get it cause you wouldn't be making use of your DSL during those times.

Taking AOL and MSN out of the picture, you have two choices:
1. put another nic in one of your computers and have the DSL modem connect to that. The 2nd nic would then connect to the hub where your other computer will also be plugged in. This option was mentioned above. You'd need to use Internet Connection Sharing or similar. If the 'main' computer is turned off, the other computer would not be able to get online through DSL.

2. Purchase a broadband router and have the DSL modem connect to the router. Then plug each computer into the router. In this scenario, each computer gets an IP from the router and you have some basic firewall protection (but should still use ZoneAlarm). In addition, one of the computers wouldn't need to remain on. The ppoe settings (if required) are stored in the router so no special software is required on either computer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanx for the replies but know one has actually answered my ?.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is what i want to accomplish is to have both computers hooked up and using different internet services. I know that if two computers share the DSL the speed wont slow down. I just want to connect the two comps with a hub.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
OOOO - so DSL has nothing to do with this! Your first post stated:
When I called verizon to order it they gave me information on what i need to make it possible for both computers to use DSL at the same time. I was told by verizon that I would need a Cable Router. I would like to know if i can use a hub to do what the Router can do. If so What would i need and how do I set it up to do so.
Now you are saying that the only thing you want to do is simply network the computers together to share files/printers/etc.
Yes, you can use the hub to network the two computers so they can talk to each other (share files/printers/etc). Just make sure each computer is in the same workgroup. I'd make sure to assign them each a static IP (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 or something similar). Just for ease of use, I'd also install netbeui. If you do use netbeui, you wouldn't technically need TCP/IP bound to your network cards and, therefore, wouldn't have to worry about IP addresses - up to you.
Make sure to setup File and Print Sharing and share whatever drives/folders you would like the other computer to access.

Now, I'm still confused by you talking about DSL and two other dialup services. If you network the two together with the hub, your network cards will be used and you'll have your modems to dial out separately. If DSL does fall into this somehow (which I can't imagine how it could), you'll have to explain that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Let's see if we can pull this off in one shot.
Hopefully you'll be getting a DSL modem with an Ethernet connection. They also have them available for USB, but the setup will change. Let's assume Ethernet.
If Verizon offers static IP, you can get as many IP's as you want, and hook as many computers to a hub as you want, and each PC gets one of the IP's you bought. But that's more expensive, made for businesses usually.
Let's say you're getting one DSL connection, using DHCP from Verizon for this post.
Personally, I wouldn't use a standard hub with ICS. Two reasons, security, anyone can get in when the modem is connected if you are not using a software firewall (Zonealarm, TPF, etc...). 2nd, to use a hub, you need to use ICS. When using ICS, if the second PC wants to access the internet, the 1st PC has to be on. You can run into trouble too if the modem uses PPoE. Sometimes ICS doesn't work well with the dialer.
Get a router instead. I use a D-Link DI-704. Another popular one is by Netgear, like the RT-314 (I think that's the model). You should be able to get one for around $60-75.
The router will handle all of your connection issues. It's also a bit easier (IMO) to setup. PPoE is handled internally, and it automatically connects when required, so you don't have to launch any software to connect. It also has a DHCP server built-in. What this does is auomatically assign an IP address to each PC. Most of the routers available also have NAT, Network address Translation. This means the IP address of each PC is on a private network, not normally visible to anyone on the other side of the router. It also acts as a firewall.
To hook it all up is pretty straightforward, to some people. What you may want to do is set up your DSL the way Verizon wants you to, because most ISP's won't support router configurations, there's to many. Once you know the service works, hook up the router.
In simple terms, the modem connects to the router, usally in a seperate ethernet port specifically for it. On the other side/end of the modem is where the ethernet cables for the PC's go, one to each. The standard limit for ethernet cable is 100 meters I believe.
The PC's are setup in Network Neighborhood using the TCP/IP protocol. IP addresses are assigned by DHCP. To setup the router, usually there's a private address you put in IE or Netscape to access the router configuration. Mine is 192.168.0.1. Log into the router and set it up. If the modem/ISP uses PPoE, you'll enable it on the router and put it your username and password. Most ISP's that use PPoE also use dynamic IP, so you don't have to set IP addresses in the router. Check with Verizon.
That's the short of it. For alot more info, checkout http://www.dslreports.com or http://www.practicallynetworked.com
Keep in mind also that there are wireless solutions too, so you don't have to string cable all over the house. It's more expensive, and sometimes harder to configure though.
Don't tell Verizion how many PC's you want to hook up either, the router handles that. All Verizon needs to know is you want DSL for one system.
To use AOL with DSL is cake. Access AOL setup and make a new connection. Tell it to connect via TCP/IP. Close it, log in, and enjoy.
MSN is most likely just open it and go, you may have to tell it to use TCP/IP instead of a dial-up modem, but I haven't used MSN, so am not sure what their dialer looks like.
Once you get it all working, call AOL and tell them to switch you to the BYOA plan (bring your own access). It's usually about $10/month cheaper that way. See if MSN has the same thing.

Hope I helped....

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
You might want to verify with your ISP. Some will let you acquire more than one IP address. I have 3 computers on DSL via a hub.
I can go online with any one or all at the same time and play games or whatever. If your ISP is like this, there is no need for a router, which is normally more expensive then a hub.
If your ISP doesn't allow more then one computer to get an IP address, then you need a router or you have to set one computer up as a proxy server.
You might want to check this with your ISP also as many don't support home networking and if you get where you can't surf, you may be on your own to get it working.
Del

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have Verizon DSL and connect 2 pcs through a hub to the DSL modem.
One cable goes from the first pc to the hub, same with pc number 2, use a crossover cable from the hub to the DSL modem and it works fine. You dont have to do anyother configuration except install the Verizon DSL software on both machines.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont want to share anything on my computer. I just want to use DSL on my computer without sharing any files or the printer or anything. I simply just want to connect the dsl to two computers, and I want to know if i can use a hub or not.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Sure, just go into the tcp/ip in both computers and turn off 'file and printer sharing'. If you wanted to share files or a printer, best done with NetBEUI anyway.
Del

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.