Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok for the xbox live i need to find my dns primary and secondary adn dont know how to find either and my provider says there are three and i dont understand...can anyone walk me through this?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Before I sold my PS2 for an xbox (a much better system), I had to do this for the PS2, and I am going to try to remember how. ( I assume you are using DSL, otherwise cable usually finds those automatically.)

First, are you using a router? If so, what type? (I find that D-Link makes cheaper routers, but they work just as well as Linksys) At the end, you will also want to enable gaming mode.

Tell me these things, and I may or may not be able to help (its been a while, and it was on the PS2)

One note, make sure you save your subscription card, in case you ever encounter any problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so yes i have dsl...the ip adress thingy worked...i connected it straight to the modem...and im using a motorola surfboard cable modem model SB5100...evertime i try to connect it says in need the DNS servers..and i have my subscribtion card

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Error Message: DNS Error
The DNS servers could not be reached. Check these possible options:

If your Xbox console is connected directly to your modem, verify the DNS Servers settings match the settings provided by your ISP.
If your Xbox console is connected to a router, verify the DNS Servers settings are set to automatic.
See www.xbox.com/connect for more information.

thats the message i get

·
Registered
586 Posts
If it says DNS cannot be reached, your Xbox still maybe connected, but you need to find the correct settings.

Im sorry, but at the moment I cant remember how to set it up.

You may want to call your DSL provider to setup the connection

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure are you using a router to hook up your computer and xbox?

if so I am not sure what your problem is. but if you are switching your highspeed device (for example for highspeed cable) you can not just switch the either net hook up from your computer to your xbox. you have to call your service provider and have another ip address set up. then after you set up the other ip address you should be set. i hope this helps.

·
Registered
896 Posts
have you tried powering off your modem and router...or resetting your modem? I had to do this with roadrunner when I first got Xbox Live..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.