Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dns settings win2k server plus dsl modem

2K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  wange 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a windows 2000 advanced server (sp4), with 3 more pc's xp pro (sp2). The network has a domain, and the server (fixed ip 192.168.0.1), operates dhcp, and dns. The xp machines are set to automatic detect settings for LAN, and used to have individual dial up conns for internet with relevant settings in those connections.
This worked fine (although slow internet) until I got broadband and a broadband modem router. This was installed on the LAN and given fixed Ip address of 192.168.0.254, and i have pointed all the pcs to this as the default gateway. Because now all pc's access both LAN and Internet via the one LAN connection on each machine, only one set of settings can be used, so there appears to be a problem with which dns to use. The broadband modem also is capable of dhcp and dns server, however these are disabled as the existing win2000 server is already providing this for the domain. It seems now that if I point the dns on the xp's to the win2000 server, ie 192.168.0.1 then the LAN works fine, ie file and printer sharing etc, but they dont have internet access.
If I point the xp's to the dns of the ISP, ie 62.24.199.10 (talktalk.net) then they all have internet access, but the LAN fails and pcs cant share. If you try to click a mapped drive on another pc, you get an error saying you do not have permission to access this, and/or it comes up with a logon screen asking for username and password. If you put your original one in again, an error says, you have entered the same that you logged on with - windows has already tried these and there is no domain controller available to verify this logon. ( or words very similar to these -I'm working from memory as I'm not there at the moment)
Can anyone tell me what settings to enter in the xp pc's and in the win2000 server please ?

See less See more
#2 ·
Howdy wange...

Although my setup is a little different that yours (my router is the DHCP server), this is what I had to do to mine to get it to logon to the domain and access the internet...

Leave your DNS for the pc's pointed to the DNS server, go to the DNS server, and open the DNS management app, right click on the server - properties - click on the Forwarders tab - click to check enable forwarders box - put in the IP of your router, click on the add button...

Worked for my setup...

#5 ·
hi,
Just realised mine says - 'forwarders are not available because this is a root server' ???

Am I right clicking for properties in the correct place in dns manager ? ? ?

Also - How did you paste the properties box into the forum ?

Thanks.

#7 ·
Thanks again Jedi !

yes, I did have the root server '.', and i have sorted it out as described in the article, which has now let me enter the dns forwarding, which i have done.

I re-pointed all the xp pcs to the 192.168.0.1 of the win2000 server, and the win2000 server to itself as primary dns, with broadband router (dns server enabled) 192.168.0.254 as secondary.

Everything has internet access ok. The problem now is when you expand the network through my network places in explorer, you can see all the xp machines but cant see the server (server named GWES). If you try to expand the network from the server you cant see any machines at first. if you do a search, again via windows explorer, it finds the server, but if you then try to expand it, it shows the shared folders, but when you click on one eg folder named 'common' it says " \\gwes\common is not accessible " " The network path is not found"

It's as if the server 'pc' is not logged on the network ?
PS. Everything is logged on as administrator

#8 ·
Jedi,
Just found out that when you do a search in windows explorer on one of the xp machines, for 'gwes' computer, it finds it, but under 'Web Client Network' not under 'Microsoft Windows Network' where our GWE domain network is.
and even though it shows the computer, there still is no access to it.
any ideas ?????
Many Thanks.

#9 ·
also in ipconfig /all on server it says 'netbios over tcpip disabled' however I have checked and double checked it is ticked enabled in properties. Someone suggested uninstalling tcpip, rebooting and reinstalling, but the uninstall button is greyed out for tcpip in properties ?
Do you know of a registry fix for this ?
Also should i have WINS on server ? it is blank at the moment in tcpip properties.

#10 ·
Go to one of the XP pc's and click on start - run - type in cmd hit enter at the command prompt type in ping GWES, right click - select all, and post the results of the ping back here...

I think for some reason it still thinks it is a Root server...

#11 ·
Hi,
Can ping ip adress but not name as below:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.GWE>ping gwes

Pinging gwes.gwe.gwenergy.co.uk [192.168.0.7] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.7:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.GWE>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.GWE>

#13 ·
wange said:
Hi,
Can ping ip adress but not name as below:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.GWE>ping gwes

Pinging gwes.gwe.gwenergy.co.uk [192.168.0.7] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.7:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
I re-pointed all the xp pcs to the 192.168.0.1 of the win2000 server,
That's strange, it should be resolving to .01 instead of .07...

Hmmm...

In the forward lookup zones do they point to the DNS server?

Should be able to expand the forward lookup zones and double click in the right pane on your DNS server, and click on the Name Servers tab and check the IP...

#14 ·
well spotted ! I had'nt noticed that.
the server, GWES is definately set to .1 manually, and I pinged it from .5 not sure where the .7 comes in. wonder if another dns server resolving it ? will check it out on monday when I get back.

hope to catch up with you then,
Cheers.

#15 ·
Hi Just to let you know, tried allsorts this week, but ended up removing all necessary data from server, reformatting hd's and new install of 2003 server. configured from new, and all working fine.
Just think things had got too far down the road with screwed up settings to rectify the old 2000 installation.
All's well that ends well !!!!
Thanks for your help.
Wange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.