Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, over the weekend I transferred a website from hosting provider A to hosting provider B. Hosting provider A assigned IP address 1.2.3.4 to my domain. Hosting provider B assigned IP address 6.7.8.9 to my domain. Cool.

Now, I've changed the DNS for my domain from hosting provider A's DNS to hosting provider B's DNS. The propagation is happening right now. What I'm seeing is this: I can run the "dig" or "nslookup" utilities at a command line to get the IP address for the domain and the IP address returned is the IP for hosting provider B (6.7.8.9). If I use my browser to login to cPanel for the site, I will be taken to provider A's server (IP 1.2.3.4).

My question: if dig or nslookup display the IP address returned by the DNS, why does my browser grab the wrong IP? I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.12 on Linux. I've emptied the cache, cookies, authenticated sessions, etc. I can *sometimes* login to the new hosting procvider's cPanel (IP 6.7.8.9) but sometimes in the middle of my being logged into that cPanel, the IP will revert back to the old address (1.2.3.4).

Why does the propagation result in so much bouncing back and forth between DNS servers if I'm using the same DNS, all the time? I AM connecting to the Internet through a Netgear wireless router and I have Comcast cable modem Internet service. Perhaps the router is doing some caching on its own.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Peace...

·
Registered
40 Posts
1. Did you do an rmdcreload?

2. And also did you host the DNS only?

3. You have pointed the site to your NS or your hosts, and you are sure that they are not hosting DNS for you?

4. What kind of server/os are you using for your DNS/NS hosting?

Matt

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Did you do an rmdcreload?
All I did was assign new DNS servers through the registrar (Network Solutions). I have no idea who would have run "rmdcreload" or when that would have taken place.

2. And also did you host the DNS only?

3. You have pointed the site to your NS or your hosts, and you are sure that they are not hosting DNS for you?
We're using the DNS servers provided by the hosting provider, Hostgator.com. I simply specified those DNS servers in the Network Solutions account for the domain.

4. What kind of server/os are you using for your DNS/NS hosting?
I have no idea what Hostgator uses but I'm guessing some kind of Unix or Linux box for DNS. The strange part is, I saw the DNS "back and forth" through my Comcast Internet service at home. When I logged in a remote machine I admin, that machine reflected the new DNS almost immediately after I made the change. (I ran a "dig" command on the domain on the remote machine).

As of this morning, things have settled down and the new DNS server is being used and the site is being consistently served from the new server.

Peace...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.