Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to have Outlook-based contact groups that, if one staff member adds/deletes a contact, that it updates for everyone that has access to the contact group?

We are using a 2010 Exchange Server, 2010 Outlook and most of the computers are PC (I am the only one who also uses a Mac).

I'm having trouble finding a solution online -- because "auto updating contact group" generates different answers for me.

I know we have a Global Address List-- and I think that's kind of the way my boss wants it to function -- but instead of it being the global master list, it would be smaller lists that multiple people should have access to. For example, an "All Staff" list, a list of people who attend the weekly administrative meetings" ... "volunteers" ... and we would normally send these lists out to the people who need it. But if it changes, or people are added or whatever, then we have to send it out again, and most people don't understand how to remove the previous one, and then add the new one. We have a lot of non-computer friendly people, and I'm not the greatest myself...

Okay, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Or if you could kindly point me in a better direction than googling "auto updating contact list".

Thank you!

-Samantha

· Registered
2,595 Posts
Welcome to TSG nhcsam. Hope you find answers to your problems and help others when you get the opportunity.

We us FIM (ForeFront Identity Management) This allows admins to assign owners of distrabution groups and security groups. The owners can then add and remove members as they please without requesting the services of an admin. Its been big time saver and freed the admins to do admin work instead of permission.

FIM probably cost money and requires and admin project to implement. There used to be a 'Public Distrabution List' that was stored/associated with an Outlook public folder (Been to long since I wore an Outlook hat). You might ask your IT folks about that or if they can give update permissions to an individual for a distrabution group.

If no cooperation from IT I would have them create a distrabution group and send them the updates each and every time. They can either do the work or find a solution.

· Registered
518 Posts
All of the companies I have dealt with going back years using Exchange Servers/Outlook email have provisions to have individuals assigned as an Owners to Distribution Groups. The Owners then take the job of updating who is in a group, adding and removing as needed. Typically, it is web based. All that I can recall also have an Intranet Web Based training to teach the Owners how to use/maintain their Groups. In your Global Address list, you may find an addy for Email Admin, or contact your IT support group to locate your required procedures for creating / updating the Exchange Serer information. If you can do it this way, I would also recommend a periodic review requirement of the Distribution Group and Owners to ensure they are maintained and up to date.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.