Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Outlook distribution list problem. This seems to occur in many versions of outlook. I have a distribution list where I am the owner and it is shared across everyone on the team. I update the list periodically as people in the unit leave or are added.

What I've found is that often when people are using the distribution list, it's not the updated version. The people removed are still on it and new people are not being included. Is there some way to advise team members to clear out a cache or somewhere that this is being held onto by their computers so that the newest version of the list can be used?

· Registered
518 Posts
Assuming you use the Distribution List from your computer, and send it out to everyone for them to save your list as the New Distribution Group, they may be saving the new DL and not removing the old DL first.
Just a test, if you want to, Create a new DL and add just one person to it. Save it, and send it to yourself. Open your email and drag and drop the DL to your Contacts folder, now if you look in your contacts folder, you will see two identically named DLs.
Perhaps, when you next update the DL, include instructions How To go to Contacts and delete any and all DLs Named "Your DL Name", as step 1 before saving the new one.
If this is the cause, it is Business as Usual. Many Users will do the right thing, and save the new DL correctly, and never mention that they see 3 of the same DL in their contact folder, never knowing they are selecting the old one.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I used the wrong terminology. It's not a Distribution list per se. Its a "group" -on our Global Address List- Microsoft Exchange. It starts with * - it is not on my Contacts list

· Registered
518 Posts
The Exchange Server does change the playing field of your question. Please always include info about you network and workstations to get the best answer faster. (Use of Active Directory, Exchange Server, workstation OS, Software name and Version in question, etc.)

http://accc.uic.edu/answer/how-manually-update-your-copy-global-address-list-gal-outlook

The above link describes how to manually update the GAL on workstations and may provide part of your answer. The remaining parts of the answer you may get from your Electronic Communications group (the people who maintain the Exchange Server). Some companies using AD and Exchange and Windows establish a policy that all workstations should be logged off at the end of the day, but left powered on so that they receive updates in a timely fashion and not interrupt daily work. Some updates are only scheduled 1 time every 24 hours, and powered off workstations can miss them, needing manual updating (as above). I know this answer as a resolution is incomplete, maybe your network people can assist further, as they know the details. Hope this does help just a little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.