Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.

And I attached the report. Why can't it defrag some files?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
79,313 Posts
usually mail files, or system files. You will always get that report. As long as there is little to no red in the graph, you are fine. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
ecko69x said:
Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.

And I attached the report. Why can't it defrag some files?
Try AusLogics Disc Defrag. 1 hour with windows, 5 minutes with Auslogics and it has yet to tell me couldn't defrag something.

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Large video files will usually not be defragged.....if I have a few of these files I put them on disk or move them as I like a nice Blue color on my defrag.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Files that are in use when the defrag run is done can't be defragged. Like O/S components, the paging file, the NTFS MFT, etc. This is normal, it's not a problem. If you insist on having all of the files defragged, something like Perfect Disk will do it with a boot-time defrag pass.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
redoak said:
Perhaps it just isn't telling the whole story. Dishonest?
{redoak}
I don't understand all the technical jargon, but it supposedly uses microsofts defrag utility, but it only defrags files that need it. It doesn't do every file every time. I generally do it once a week which also keeps the time down, although just doing this thru MS it still took an hour every week. I am interested in an opinion from more advanced users than myself after they have at least looked at it.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Microsoft's defrag is a version of Diskeeper, they purchased it from Executive Software. It has pretty basic capabilities, but works for most folks.

·
Super Moderator
79,313 Posts
it's the only one we use to support over 1k machines......good enough, I guess.

·
Gone but never forgotten
6,781 Posts
I ran "Diskeeper" on my three partitions immediately after using the AusLogic program. In every case DK found some additional files to defrag.

Speed isn't every thing! I consider thoroughness more important.

{redoak}

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Actually, that's not uncommon. I've run two defrag applications back to back to back, and they keep finding something to do, even after the other one finishes. :D

·
Super Moderator
79,313 Posts
JohnWill said:
Actually, that's not uncommon. I've run two defrag applications back to back to back, and they keep finding something to do, even after the other one finishes. :D
different algorithms. That may have been my first post here, wondering why windows defragger would show almost total red after a norton defrag.

And you may have been the one to answer it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.