Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just ordered a Radeon 9800SE (yes I know its a SE card so I don't expcet the same performance as a Pro) off from newegg.com and was just making sure if this card was any good. I read some pretty good reviews about it but i'm just making sure with you guys. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, Its not a bad card I had a sapphire 9800SE couldnt soft mod it, got the checkerboard effect. Still it played UT2004 at a decent resolution, struggled a bit with half life 2 at times but got through it.

Generally though alright, did get one of those artic coolers for it, the cooling it had looked a bit feeble, then clocked it up a bit got to about 420 mhz on the rivatuner. It did fine at stock speeds, so dunno why I bothered really...

Meh, because its there :p

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Generally its from modding a card. For example if you soft-modded the 9800SE you would be enabling 4 pipelines on the card. If there was something wrong with these you commonly get a checkerboard pattern.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats pretty much it, looks like a normal desktop just all checkered.

If the softmod dosnt work, because the pipelines are damaged, you can uninstall the old mod drivers for it and replace the stock ones and your away again.

Or I was anyway, was worth a try at anyrate.

If you do give it a go though you'll definatly need some better cooling than whats usually standard on the 9800SE and I'm not sure weather if using the non standard drivers invalidates whatever warranty there might be on the card.

Somthing to think about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.