Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my dial-up connection lately. Once I connect I usually can't stay online for more than a minute, it keeps disconnecting. The phone line seems to be okay, I've switched it with another and have the same problem. What other things should I look for ? If I remember correctly it started not long after I did a few windows updates. Could an update have caused this and is there a way to uninstall the updates ? I am using windows xp and have aol as a provider. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
AOL is a very poor ISP. I had loads of problems when I was with them. Search the internet for a better ISP.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
What is your connection speed?

Also do you ever experience problems with your phones? ie. noise, low volume, etc.
Wiring is at fault in a lot of connectin problems, and I don't necessarily mean the line that runs from the wall jack to the computer but the lines in the wall and leading to the house.

As a test you may want to disconnect all phones and devices on the line in the house and try connecting. If you also have a jack in the main teleophone box outside/inside your house then connect to that and try dialing out.

I personally have no nice words to describe AOL and their software.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
You don't happen to have a US Robotics or 3COM modem do you?

ALso have you checked for viruses/spyware?

Do a quick scan at housecall.trendmicro.com to double check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.